Hours & Schedule
- Academic year: Mondays, and Fridays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m and Wednesday 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
MuseLab is located at Kent State University Library Room 321
- Current exhibit: Rock Hall Music Makerspace Test Exhibit
- Follow our MuseLab blog.
- Follow the MuseLab on Facebook and Twitter.
- Read about the "Beauty of Data" exhibit in the spring 2016 issue of Kent State Magazine.
Mission and Goals
As a component of the museum studies specialization in the School of Library and Information Science, the MuseLab is a creative and collaborative space for thinking, doing and learning about museal things.
- To generate and inspire research on museality
- To provide an atmosphere of innovation, creation and collaboration between faculty, students and community
- To have a place for museum studies students to put into practice skills and concepts they have learned in courses (on their own, in workshops or for CE research projects)
MuseLab is ...
- An innovative testing ground for faculty and students doing projects on museological topics, especially collaborative work;
- A place to meet for courses, workshops, clubs, speakers related broadly to the MuseLab’s mission;
- An opportunity to explore the role of objects, the meaning of collecting and the human experience with things;
- A fully equipped work area to create and prototype exhibits, programs and research projects.
. . . an innovative space
Situated on the third floor of the University Library, in the School of Library and Information Science, the MuseLab consists of two exhibit spaces (a main gallery inside and a wall gallery outside), a fully equipped work area and two storage facilities (including a secure and safe protected area for artifacts).
... an opportunity
Installations can vary from quick prototyping projects to more traditional gallery exhibitions. The MuseLab is built around Design Thinking principles of observation, collaboration, fast learning, visualization of ideas and prototyping; it is a methodology for innovation and enablement.
... a museal discovery
Museality is a concept for understanding the role of museum objects, the meaning of collecting and the human experience with things.
... a workspace
MuseLab is open to faculty, students, organizations and community groups interested in conducting research, prototyping, staging an exhibit or hosting a workshop or program related to the lab’s mission.
To explore how you might find your muse here, make an appointment to visit by calling 330-672-5846 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.