Kent State SLIS Seeks Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
The Kent State University School of Library and Information Science is seeking exceptional candidates for a post-doctoral research fellow position.
The postdoctoral fellow is expected to work with an interdisciplinary team of five researchers from Library and Information Science, Geography, History, and Liquid Crystal Institute to conduct research in the areas across big data, smart data, and digital humanities with a focus on innovation history.
The required qualifications are:
- Doctoral degree completed (by August 2015) in Computer Science, Information Science, Computational Linguistics, Geographic Information Science, or a field related to the Semantic Web technologies, machine learning, and big data analytics.
- Excellent programming skills in Java and scripting languages (e.g. Perl and Python). Knowledge of SPARQL, XML, XSD, graph visualization, NoSQL database, data extraction/crawling.
Other desirable qualifications are:
- Knowledge of Linked Data and Semantic Web languages (RDF, OWL).
- Experience and knowledge in seeking grants from federal and other external funding agencies.
- Good communication and writing skills in English.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team.
This two-year appointment will start on June 1, 2015, or earlier. The first 12 months’ effort will be focused on research. After the initial period, other duties such as teaching may be incorporated into the responsibilities. The salary is competitive, and benefits are excellent. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
A letter of interest and vita should be submitted online at https://jobs.kent.edu. (Search for position #992490.) Names and contact information of at least three references should be provided with the application. The letter of interest should indicate related research background and experience.
The School of Library and Information Science at Kent State University offers a Master of Library and Information Science (M.L.I.S.) and Master of Science in Information Architecture and Knowledge Management (IAKM). In addition, the school participates in an interdisciplinary Ph.D. in the College of Communication and Information. In addition, the school participates in an interdisciplinary Ph.D. program at the College of Communication and Information. For more information, visit www.kent.edu/slis. The main campus of Kent State University is located in the vibrant north-east Ohio region, with world-class medical facilities, regional and national centers for the arts, and top-notch entertainment and professional sports, as well as the scenic Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
Kent State University supports equal opportunity, affirmative action, and diversity in education and employment. Applications from minority group members and women are encouraged.