The Global Village brings together international and American students to live and learn in an environment supportive of cross-cultural interactions. It is an opportunity for students to live and study with students from around the world and to experience a multitude of cultures on a daily basis.
The Global Village is located in Clark Hall on Kent State’s campus. Global Village is designed for domestic and international students who desire to share their culture and experiences with students from other cultures through living together. Students interested in foreign languages, cultural studies, overseas study and travel, political science, and the various aspects of international relations or foreign policy may find Global Village an ideal place to get some initial experience living and working with people from other cultures.
Services and Social Program Opportunities
The Office of International Student Affairs works in collaboration with Residence Services to provide students living in the Global Village with the follow services and social program opportunities:
- Experience Culture Nights, American Thanksgiving traditions, American Halloween traditions, holidays around the world
- Learn traditional dances, listen to international music selections and instrument demonstrations
- Learn how to read non-verbal cues across cultures through cultural sensitivity discussions
- Share ethnic food, traditional clothing, cultural artifacts, photos and stories from around the world
- Participate in community service activities
- Attend social Events (birthdays, international films, coffee hours, ice cream social, tie-dyeing, sledding, etc…)
Who Will be my Roommate?
Students participating in this program are not guaranteed international or American roommates. Thus, students who join Global Village may be paired with either an American roommate or an international roommate depending on roommate matching characteristics and availability at the time assignment to the community are made.
Requirements for Admission
The Global Village is open to all majors at Kent State University. Students living in this community are required to take the course Bridging Cross-National Relationships for Individuals and Families (3 credit hours) for Fall 2018. Register for this class by registering for HDFS 24095.
How do I Join?
New to Kent State students who are who are interested in participating in Global Village should follow these steps:
- Select Clark Hall and Global Village as your first choice on your residence hall application.
- After submitting your residence hall application, you will then receive the Global Village application form to complete and submit.
- You will be notified if you are accepted to live in the Global Village and will receive further instructions.
- If you need further assistance, or have questions about how to join the Global Village please contact the community coordinator.
- If you have already completed and submitted your residence hall application and now want to make the necessary changes to join the community, you may re-enter your application by logging back into your application through the residence hall application website.
Eron Memaj, Director, Office of International Student Affairs email@example.com
The Department of Residence Services will seek to accommodate all room requests. However, we cannot guarantee your request will be filled. Space is limited, so please apply early.