September 2016: Quick Cyber Tips to Be More Secure
In light of many of the recent cyber security breaches, many people are wondering what steps they can take to make themselves more secure. Check out these tips below to help protect your personal information.
- Smartphones - Keeping your phone up to date will help make sure that any known bugs and security vulnerabilities get patched up. Also, when downloaded and updated apps, always check the permissions the app is asking for. Some apps ask for permissions they do not necessarily need. Lastly, make sure you use a password, pin, or biometric feature to keep your phone secure. Many phones even offer options to remotely wipe the phone if it were to get lost or stolen.
- Passwords - Your passwords should be a combination of upper case, lower case, numbers, and special characters. The longer the password, the better. Also, make sure you don't use the same password for different accounts. Password managers can assist you so that you can have different passwords across the internet without having to remember all your different passwords or write them down. Some sites and services also allow you to add multi-factor authentication.
- Social Media - Information you post on social media over time may allow a criminal or hacker to piece together important information about you, such as answers to security questions or when you are away from home.
- Phishing Emails - Always hover over links in emails to see where the link actually goes and beware of opening any attachments. See more tips for detecting phishing emails.
- Connect Securely - Be aware that many places that offer free WiFi are often unsecure networks. Never send important or sensitive info on an unencrypted network. Make sure any websites you are sending information over have "https://" in the website address.
- Security Awareness - Going through security awareness training will help you learn to identity potential scams and thwart them. Take our security training!
For more cybersecurity information, check out the full article.