Kent State’s May 4 Visitors Center Presents “Freedom Sings: A Concert” on April 26
Kent State University’s May 4 Visitors Center presents “Freedom Sings: A Concert” on Thursday, April 26, at 7 p.m. in University Auditorium at Cartwright Hall. Cartwright Hall is located at 650 Hilltop Drive in Kent. During this event, the story of free speech in America will be told through rock, pop, hip-hop and country music. The event is free and open to the public. Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
“‘Freedom Sings’ is the culminating event in our yearlong exploration of our First Amendment freedoms,” said Mindy Farmer, Ph.D., director of the May 4 Visitors Center. “Guests can expect an interactive, loud, but poignant performance of songs once deemed too controversial for the radio, including, of course, ‘Ohio’ by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.”
- Sara Beck – singer-songwriter who has toured and played with Kevin Costner and Modern West
- Dez Dickerson – guitarist and an original member of Prince and the Revolution who played on “Little Red Corvette” and multiple Prince albums
- Bill Lloyd – songwriter, musician, recording artist and producer who has three top-10 hits as a member of the country duo Foster & Lloyd, has written for Trisha Yearwood and Martina McBride and frequently performs with Cheap Trick
- Jonell Mosser – recording artist and singer who has sung backup for B.B. King, Trisha Yearwood, Waylon Jennings, Vince Gill and more; also a member of the New Maroons with Ringo Starr
- Jason White – singer-songwriter who has written songs for Carrie Underwood, Old Crow Medicine Show and Tim McGraw
- Seth Timbs – songwriter and multi-instrumentalist who was a former member of the piano pop/rock band Fluid Ounces
Along with the May 4 Visitors Center, “Freedom Sings: A Concert” is presented by Kent State Student Media, the College of Communication and Information, the May 4 Task Force, the Center for Scholastic Journalism, the College of Arts and Sciences, and the Arnold and Dorothy Danes First Amendment Fund.
For more information about Kent State’s May 4 Visitors Center, visit www.kent.edu/may4.
# # #