Faculty Excellence Awards (FEAs) are established pursuant to the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement. Procedures and timelines for determining Faculty Excellence Awards for any given year shall be conducted in accordance with guidelines issued by the Office of the Provost.
According to the 2015 Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), FEAs are considered in: (a) documented meritorious performance in research and/or creative activities; (b) documented meritorious performance in teaching, and (c) documented meritorious service.
Each time there are FEAs, existing award criteria and School procedures are to be reviewed and modified, if desired, by the FAC, subject to the approval of the Director. Existing criteria and procedures will also be modified to reflect changes in the CBA. The basic procedures for FEA are as follows:
- Within one week of receiving notification of dates and deadlines for FEAs from the Provost’s Office, the School Director will notify Faculty of the upcoming review.
- Faculty who wish to be reviewed for an FEA are responsible for submitting their documentation materials, in accordance with School guidelines, to the School Director by the due date. Each FAC member is responsible for evaluating the materials submitted by each Faculty member for excellence consideration following the objective procedures established by the School. The FAC will collectively recommend to the School Director whether monies should be awarded and number of points (ratings) for each applicant.
- The School Director will, after consideration of FAC recommendations, make a preliminary determination of FEAs and will notify Faculty of the preliminary determination.
- Faculty members have the right to request reconsideration of the preliminary determination. Such requests will be considered by the FAC, which will, on the merits of the request, make a recommendation to the School Director.
- The School Director will, after review of any reconsideration materials, transmit the final recommendation to the Dean. The School Director’s final recommendation shall be distributed to each Faculty member concerned.