Frequently Asked Questions | Explore Programs & Degrees | Kent State University

Frequently Asked Questions

GPS Home | Submit a question


If I cannot decide upon a major, is there someone or a class I can take that will help me?

You should contact a career expert  at Career Exploration and Development.  They can provide assistance with choosing a major based upon your career goals and interests.  There are two career exploration classes available:  US 20008, Career Construction and US 20009, Career and Life Planning. Each course is one credit hour and will count toward your degree hours. If you have questions about whether these courses are appropriate for you, please ask your advisor.

What is a "critical course?" What happens if I don't take it?

A course may be critical because it is a prerequisite for future courses. It may be critical in time because it is only offered once a year. It may be critical because it requires a minimum grade, such as "C." The purpose of a roadmap is to guide you through your degree program in a timely manner. Missing a critical course may put you off track and push back your graduation. You may be receiving "warnings" from your college office that you are "off track" for graduation.

What do I do if I decide to change my major after I have been admitted?

If you decide to change your major once you have been admitted, you should contact the Admissions Office at 330-672-2444 or the Admissions Office at your campus. If you have already begun your course work, Admissions will direct you to the appropriate college office.

Is there an online catalog?

The official University Catalog can be found here.

Where do I find out what classes are being offered?

The Schedule of Classes can be found here.

If I am a transfer student, how do I find out how my courses transfer and apply to my new major?

You can log on to your Flashline account using your student ID to access your transfer information. Another option is to contact the Transfer Center at 330-672-8950.  

Who do I contact if I want to talk with someone in person?

Begin with the Admissions Office (330-672-2444 or Admissions. That office will be able to direct your call to the appropriate person. If you will be attending a Regional Campus, contact the Admissions Office at that campus. Campus information may be found here.

Where do I find out what majors are about?

By hovering over an individual major on the GPS site, additional information will appear. By clicking on the major, you will be taken to the major's web page in the University Catalog.

How can I find out what majors are offered on different campuses?

A complete list of majors and the locations where they are offered is available on the GPS site.

What is a certificate?

Certificates deliver focused instruction and formalized guidance to students in areas that address contemporary, topical and/or workplace needs. These programs consist of no less than 15 credit hours and no more than 30. Students do not need to be in a degree-granting major to declare a certificate.



What are Interest Areas?

These organize the majors offered by Kent State University into cognate groups. They help students and prospective students find all the programs related to a general area of study.

How do I find out what programs are available?

Go to the "Browse Programs" section of the Graduation Planning System (GPS) web site to view all programs.

Who do I contact for graduate admissions information?
What graduate degrees are offered?

Kent State University offers graduate degrees at the master's, educational specialist, doctoral and professional levels.  Choose the "Search by Degree" dropdown for a complete list.