Oral Proficiency Interview and Writing Proficiency Test
Oral Proficiency interview and writing proficiency test
Students in the Bachelor of Arts degree programs in French, German, Russian, and Spanish Literature, Culture and Translation in catalog years 2012 and forward are required to take the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Oral Proficiency Interview and Writing Proficiency Test in their target language before they graduate.
Modern and Classical Language Studies sets up testing dates every semester for students in these majors to take the OPIc (Oral Proficiency Interview by computer) and iWPT (Internet Writing Proficiency Test). The next testing dates are:
- Monday, February 19, 2018, at 2:00 pm in Satterfield Hall room 313 (WPT only)
- Monday, February 26, 2018, at 2:30 pm in Satterfield Hall room 313 (OPIc only)
- Wednesday, March 21, 2018, at 3:30 pm in Satterfield Hall room 313 (WPT only)
- Wednesday, April 4, 2018, at 3:30 pm in Satterfield Hall room 313 (OPIc only)
- Friday, April 20, at 9:00 am in Satterfield Hall room 313 (both WPT and OPIc)
(This page last updated 25 January 2018.)
Students must sign up at least 10 days before the testing date. A headphone/microphone headset is required. Students can bring their own or use one provided by the department. Both tests can be completed in one testing session if indicated above but students must sign up for each test separately.
How to sign up for an OPIc and WPT:
- In a new browser window or tab, go to https://tms.languagetesting.com/IndividualSite/
- Click the orange “Buy a Test” button
- Read the instructions and click Get Started
- When it asks "Are you testing for state teacher certification?" select NO
- You will be asked to enter an institution name. Type Kent State. It will automatically pull up a few options. Click on Kent State Univ., Modern & Classical Language
- Click Continue
- Select your language and continue to select your test.
- Select the test you want to register for (OPIc or iWPT).
- Select the appropriate response to on the self-assessment to estimate your own language ability. If you are unsure how to answer this question, contact your faculty advisor.
- For your proctor, select Kent State Univ., Modern & Classical Language.
- When asked for your dates and times, enter the date and time from the available testing dates above. The system will require two different possible dates/times; for the other one, you can select any future date and time.
- Within a day of submitting your registration, you should receive email confirmation from Language Testing International (LTI) for each test you registered for. The Department of Modern and Classical Language Studies will also email you to confirm. If you do not receive both confirmation from LTI and MCLS, please contact email@example.com.