All-Star Choir Festival
The KSU All-Star Choir Festival is a two-day choral leadership workshop.
The 2019 All-Star Choir Festival, Oct. 6-7
Many of Ohio's finest high school singers and directors will come together and enjoy two days of intensive choral rehearsals, sectionals, panel discussions and performances. The festival is held both in beautiful downtown Kent at the KSU Hotel & Conference Center and at Kent State University music performance venues. There is no advanced preparation necessary—singers will receive music upon arrival! Private vocal coaching sessions with KSU voice faculty are available. Come be a part of this amazing choral/vocal experience at KSU!
Northwest High School
Director: Doug Beery
Participation in the All-Star Choir Festival is open to high school students of sophomore, junior, or senior standing with proven excellence in choral experience. High School Choral Directors can nominate up to 10 students from their program based on vocal ability, character, and leadership potential. Acceptance will be based on available space—an acceptable balance between sections is preferred.
All directors are welcome to attend and encouraged to participate in festival events!
- $45 registration fee per student (includes t-shirt, music packet with folder, transportation, accompanist fees, and snacks).
- $5 per student for optional vocal coaching sessions (Juniors & Seniors only - see Nomination Form).
- $30 per student for optional overnight housing (price based on a 4-person room).
- Participants who require overnight housing must include an additional $30 to cover room expense. This price is based on students being in a four-person room. Price may vary based on the number of students needing housing accommodations. Directors should contact the Kent State Hotel and Conference Center to book rooms under the ASCF block at 330-346-0100. A continental breakfast will be provided.
Send no fees now! Participants will be notified of acceptance. Fees must be paid in full before arrival in order to participate.
IMPORTANT: Each school must abide by their own district's policies on chaperoning for the overnight stay! Chaperones will be responsible for booking their own rooms. Kent State University and the All-Star Choir Festival do not accept responsibility for students staying overnight. All students staying at the KSU Hotel must have a Chaperone PRESENT at the time of check-in. Students without a responsible adult will not be allowed to check in. No exceptions.
Nomination Form instructions
1. Download and fill out the nomination form on Excel. Due Sept. 13!
- You may nominate a maximum of ten students.
- Carefully consider vocal ability, character, leadership potential, and sight-reading ability. Please do not nominate students with little or no sight-reading ability.
- Help us balance the All-Star Choir by nominating students from all voice types if possible.
- IMPORTANT: Please rank all nominees in order of overall ability. Please rank students carefully, as all nominees may not necessarily be selected to participate.
- Please inform nominees of the following and indicate interest on the nomination form:
Optional Vocal Coaching Session* (JUNIORS & SENIORS ONLY): Students must come prepared with an art song appropriate for solo and ensemble contest. If the piece is memorized, the student may be selected to perform on the final concert. *There is an additional $5 fee for the 15-minute vocal coaching sessions.
2. Registration information will be available in July/August.
*Attire for the final concert is your ASCF t-shirt and nice blue jeans. No holey jeans or leggings, please!
Rehearsal Breaks: "The Vocal Professional"
10-minute talks on vocal/choral careers by KSU faculty members
Mr. Jesse Reed
Kent State Choirs Graduate Assistant
Dr. Scott MacPherson
Director of Choral Activities