High School Band Leadership Clinic
On Friday, June 8, The Kent State University Athletic Bands will be holding a one-day clinic for local high school band student leaders that is designed to provide tools and insights for successful peer leadership within a high school band program.
This clinic is designed to be useful for any student leaders (section leaders, squad captains, drum majors, etc.) with a strong focus on successful peer leadership strategies such as:
- The dynamics of being a successful servant leader
- Strategies for successful music/marching/visual peer coaching
- Learning about different personality types and how they influence leadership and communication style
- Understanding how student leaders can have a positive influence on the cultural dynamics that affect a band’s success
- Building teamwork and camaraderie with fellow student leaders, band members, band staff, and directors
- Strategies for handling adversity and the challenges that are part of the high school band experience
- Effective conflict management skills
- How to create and assess effective personal leadership goals
All learning experiences will be a combination of large and small group discussion and reflection, demonstrations, concept-driven activities, and speaker presentations led by the Kent State University Director of Athletic Bands, Dr. John Franklin and veteran members of the Kent State University Marching Golden Flashes (KSUMGF) Undergraduate Staff.
High School Band Directors and/or Staff are also invited to attend the clinic as observers where they may learn about the philosophies and practices that have made the KSUMGF student leadership program successful.
Registration will be accepted until 5 p.m. on Friday, June 1, 2018. Space for student participants is limited so please register soon. For more information, please contact the Kent State Bands at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (330) 672-0080.
DATE: Friday, June 8, 2018
TIME: 9 am – 5 pm
LOCATION: Kent State University Hugh A. Glauser School of Music Room E112 (Kent, Oh)
CLINIC FEE (includes lunch): $25 per student participant; $10 per participating band director/band staff member