Online Learning at the College of Nursing
Kent State delivers online courses using Blackboard Learn, the industry-leading Learning Management System (LMS).
Blackboard Learn is the centralized place for each of your online courses, from the syllabus to finals. It is where you will find course materials, submit assignments, take tests, and even find your grades.
With all of that riding on it, you can see how important a trusted and reliable system really is.
We are committed to providing the highest-quality online course experience possible. That starts with knowledgeable instructors.
In addition to years of real-world nursing experience, our faculty is well-prepared to pass along their knowledge in a virtual format.
By attending educational workshops and Quality Matters training, instructors develop the expertise to design and deliver effective online courses. A professional instructional designer is also on staff to assist them through that process.
At Kent State, online learning does not mean “teach yourself.” Our courses are interactive and social and will keep you engaged.
Discussion forums are just one way our courses are interactive. Similar to in-class discussions, forums empower you to explore course materials alongside fellow students and your instructors.
Sometimes you will need to collaborate and learn in real-time. That is where Blackboard Collaborate comes into play. Using your microphone and webcam, it will create a live video session with your classmates and instructors. Virtual office hours, study sessions, group projects, and guest speakers are just some of the ways we use Collaborate.
All online courses include a direct link to a 24/7 help desk for student technical support.
100% Online Programs
A wide variety of Kent State nursing programs are 100% online, including:
- Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist (MSN & DNP)
- Nurse Educator (MSN)
- Nursing & Healthcare Management (MSN)
- Women's Health Nurse Practitioner (MSN & DNP)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (post-MSN)
Partially Online Programs
These programs incorporate both online and in-person courses:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Most pre-requisite courses are available online. Some nursing courses are also offered online.
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Core courses (the first half of the program) are 100% online
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (post-BSN)
- All courses are online, except for practice role courses