My research focuses on psychological factors related to chronic pain and using integrative therapies to decrease pain and improve function. Over the past 20 years, I've studied the effect of guided imagery on pain and function in persons with chronic pain and undergoing knee arthroplasty. I am also interested in how parental chronic pain impacts the family system and developed several mid-range theories related to this phenomenon. I've practiced as a psychiatric mental health advanced practice registered nurse for over 30 years; this practice has informed by research endeavors.
- Hamash, K., Umberger, W., Aktas, A., Walsh, D., & Cheruvu, V. (in press, 2018). The effect of the pain symptom cluster on performance in women diagnosed with advanced breast cancer: The mediating role of the psychoneurological symptom cluster.
- Jacobson, A.F., Umberger, W.A., Palmieri, P.A., Alexander, T.S., Myerscough, R. P., Draucker, C. B., Steudte-Schmiedgen, S., & Kirschbaum, C. (2016). Guided imagery for total knee replacement: A randomized placebo-controlled pilot study.
- Umberger, W., & Risko, J. (2016). ‘It didn’t kill me. It just made me stronger and wiser: Silver linings for children and adolescents of parents with chronic pain. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 30, 138-143.
- Draucker, C.B., Jacobson, A., Umberger, W., Myerscough, R., & Sanata, J. (2015). Acceptability of a guided imagery intervention for individuals undergoing a total knee replacement. Journal of Orthopedic Nursing, 34, 356-364.
- Umberger, W., Risko, J., & Covington, E. (2015). The forgotten ones: Needs of children and adolescents living with parental chronic non-cancer pain. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 30, 498-507.
- Umberger, W., Martsolf, D., Jacobson, A., Risko, J., Patterson, M., & Calabro, M. (2014). Ways of understanding parental chronic pain: A typology. Pain Management Nursing, 15, 854-863.
- Umberger, W. (2014). Children of parents with chronic non-cancer pain: A comprehensive review of the literature. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing, 27, 26-34.
- Umberger, W., Martsolf, D., Jacobson, A., Risko, J., Patterson, M., & Calabro, M. (2013). The shroud: Ways adolescents manage living with parental chronic pain. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 45, 344-354.
- Lewandowski, W. & Jacobson, A. (2013). Bridging the gap between mind and body: A bio-behavioral model of the effects of guided imagery on pain, pain disability, and depression. Pain Management Nursing, 14, 368-378.
- 2014, Scholar of the Month, Kent State University
- 2011, Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare, Marquis Who's Who
- 2007, Hyundai Motors American Scholar, American Nurses Foundation
- 1999, American Nurses Foundation Scholar, American Nurses Foundation
- 1992, Dean's Scholar Award, Case Western Reserve University
- 1986, Linnea Henderson Award, Kent State University
- 1982, Summa Cum Laude, Kent State University