Dr. Chen’s research explores strategies to enhance self-care capacity for patients and their family caregivers, including cancer symptom management for chronically ill patients staying at home, to improve well-being and other healthcare-associated outcomes.
She examines effective interventions for family caregivers to improve integrative cancer care and outcomes for patients transitioning from healthcare facilities, allowing them to stay in their homes and communities. Her research has included the detection of risk factors for rehospitalization, effectiveness of health care interventions, and survival and prognostic outcome measures among patients with chronic lung disease.
Currently, she has extended her research interests by examining teaching effectiveness in relation to improvement of online teaching and learning outcomes.
- NURS 40005 - Professional Nursing Development
- NURS 40872 - Introduction to Evidenced Based Practice
- NURS 60403 - Methods of Inquiry
- NURS 60101 - Theoretical Basis for Nursing Practice
- NURS 70630 - Research and Methods for Evidence Based Practice
- NURS 70725 - Quantitative Research Methods in Nursing Research
- NURS 70727 - Advanced Health Care Statistics I
- Chen, Y.J., Petrinec, A., & Radziewicz, R.M. (2018). Feasibility and fidelity of a Reiki intervention for cancer patients by family caregivers. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 36(7S): A87. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2018.36.7_suppl.87
- Narsavage, G., Chen, Y.J., Korn, B., & Elk, R. (2017). The potential of palliative care for patients with respiratory diseases. Breathe, 13 (4), 278-289. doi: 10.1183/20734735.014217
- Chen, Y.J., Narsavage, G.L., Frick, K.D., & Petitte, T.M. (2016). Home-telemonitoring lung cancer intervention in Appalachia: A pilot study. International Journal of Chronic Diseases and Therapy, 2(2), 21-30. PMCID: PMC5295647 & NIHMSID: NIHMS811951
- Petitte, T.M., Narsavage, G.L., Chen, Y.J., Coole, C., Forth, T., & Frick, K. (2014). Feasibility study: Home-telemonitoring for patients with lung cancer in a mountainous rural area. Oncology Nursing Forum, 41(2), 153-161. doi: 10.1188/14.ONF.153-161
- Luo, J. Chen, Y.J., Narsavage, G. L., & Ducatman, A. (2012). Predictors of survival in patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum, 39(6), 609-616. doi:10.1188/12.ONF.609-616
- Li, Y., Chen, Y.J., Chang, L.J., Hendryx, M., & Luo, J. (2012). Clinical biomarkers and prognosis in Taiwanese patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Journal of Cancer Therapy, 3, 412-423. doi:10.4236/jct.2012.324054
- Luo, J. Chen, Y.J., & Chang, L.J. (2011). Fasting blood glucose level and prognosis in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients. Lung Cancer, 76, 242-247. doi:10.1016/j.lungcan.2011 .10.019
- Chen, Y. J., Narsavage, G.L., Culp, S., & Weaver, T.E. (2010). The development and psychometric analysis of the short-form pulmonary functional status scale (PFSS-11). Research in Nursing and Health, 33, 477-485. doi: 10.1002/nur.20403
- Winkelman, C., Higgins, P. A., Chen, Y. J., & Levine, A.D. (2007). Cytokines in chronically critically ill patients after activity and rest. Biological Research for Nursing, 8, 261-271.
- Chen, Y.J., & Narsavage, G.L. (2006). Factors related to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease readmission in Taiwan. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 28, 105-124.
- 2016-2017, 2014 Nominated for DAISY Faculty Award, Kent State University College of Nursing
- 2014-2015, Faculty Excellence Award, Kent State University
- 2012 Academic Research Enhancement Award, NIH/NCI & ARRA
- 2005, MNRS/Sage Best Graduate Student Paper Award, WJNR, SAGE Publications
- 2005, Nursing Research Award, Center for Research and Scholarship, CASE
- 2004, Alumni Research Award, FPB SON Alumni Association at CASE
- 2004 Pre-Doctoral Fellowship Award, the Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation (CCKF) for International Scholarly Exchange in USA