Graduate Program Admission Requirements
All applicants to the Graduate Program must submit the following with their application. Since 2019, we no longer require the GRE.
- writing sample (3000-5000 words)
- three letters of recommendation
- statement of purpose describing why you would like to pursue an MA in philosophy, your philosophical interests and background, and what you hope to gain from the program (max. 1000 words)
- official transcripts from all institutions, undergraduate and graduate, where 8 hours or more have been attempted
- proof of English proficiency for international applicants (unless you meet the criteria to have this requirement waived)
Documents must be submitted to the Graduate School using the online application site (or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to upload them to the application site). The application is not complete until the Graduate School has received and processed all required application materials.
Applicants who do not have an undergraduate major or minor (at least 18 semester hours or the equivalent) in philosophy or who have an overall GPA below 3.0 (on a 4 point scale) should consult the Graduate Coordinator before submitting their application. As the MA degree offers advanced preparation in philosophy, it assumes at a minimum the basic preparation provided by a philosophy minor or the equivalent.
The department has two different application deadlines, depending on whether the applicant wishes to apply for a Graduate Assistantship:
To apply for a Graduate Assistantship: all application materials must be received and processed by the Graduate School by February 1 for matriculation the following Fall. Students seeking assistantships must apply for admission in the Fall semester.
To apply without requesting a Graduate Assistantship: all application materials must be received and processed by the Graduate School prior to the semester of matriculation (Fall or Spring).