Thank you for your interest in the Basic Police Academy.
The following information has been prepared to help familiarize you with some general requirements should you be planning on a rewarding career in the law enforcement field.
We have also posted forms that must be completed to apply for entrance into the Ohio Basic Peace Officer Training Program.
Classes at both our Kent and Trumbull campuses start three times a year with differing schedules. Currently the Trumbull Campus holds evening only classes while the Kent Campus holds both day and evening classes.
All curriculum and training are under the control of the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission - a branch of the State of Ohio Attorney General's Office. The Basic Peace Officer Training Academy has (4) Commanders and a cadre of 76 State Certified Instructors, all of whom subscribe to Kent State University's Standards of Excellence.
I would encourage you to look over the information and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call. Looking forward to meeting you, I remain.
Public Safety Training & Police Academy
Requirements for admission to Basic Peace Officer training
Prospective cadets must meet the following standards:
- Must be 20 or turning 20 years of age.
- Must be in good physical condition.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Must not have any Felony or Drug Convictions, or arrests for Domestic Violence.
Sealed or expunged felony convictions as an adult will exclude a prospective cadet from admission to the Academy.
Sealed or expunged felony convictions as a juvenile may exclude an individual from entering the academy (such a conviction is considered on a case -by-case basis).
Requirements and Policies
- Student must comply with dress code.
- Student must author & maintain notebooks.
- Student must attend all mandatory classes.
- Student must pass all psychomotor skills (Firearms, Driving, Physical Conditioning, First Aid/CPR, STOPS, Defensive Tactics) in order to take state certification examination.
- Student must pass state certification test with at least 70%.