5 - 12.11
Administrative policy regarding off-campus film and video production companies use of university property ... for commercial purposes
- Policy. All off-campus film and video production companies seeking permission to utilize university property, facilities, personnel and/or use identifiable university landmarks/ buildings/logos must submit a written proposal to the director of university news and information.
- Groups exempt from the policy include:
- Tapes produced by teleproductions for channels 45/49;
- Internal TV-2 productions;
- Coverage of university-organized news conferences and news events;
- Classwork assigned to students (unless to be distributed outside the university);
- Video/slide/film presentations produced for instructional use in the classroom;
- Video/slide/film presentations produced for research or scholarly purposes or for professional presentations;
- Video/slide/film presentations to be used for in-service training of university personnel;
- Registered student organizations taping/filming university-sanctioned functions for internal use.
Student organizations must have the permission of the speaker and/or artist to tape or film.
- The director of university news and information has the authority to waive part or all of the procedures in this policy if the production meets the following criteria:
- Utilizes limited property;
- Utilizes limited personnel;
- Requires less than one day of taping or filming on campus to complete the project.
- The written proposal should contain the following information:
- Name of the production company and/or firm that will be held liable for any expenses beyond normal university functions, damage to university property or facilities, and/or physical harm to university employees;
- Name of the chief executive officer and/or president of the production company and/or firm that will be held liable for any expenses beyond normal university functions, damage to university property or facilities and/or physical harm to university employees;
- Proof of insurance including type of coverage and the amount of coverage;
- Name of the individual(s) to be responsible for the project, if approved, on campus;
- Detailed description and/or proposed script of production to be taped or filmed at the university;
- Detailed description of facilities needed; university property needed; electrical and other utility specifications; proposed locations (inside and outside) for filming, videotaping and set-up;
- Proposed hours, days and weeks the film/video crew will be on campus;
- Proposed hours, days and weeks the film/video crew will be utilizing each proposed facility, university property and locations (inside and outside) for filming, videotaping and set-up; and
- Proposed air date and name of organization and/or network airing the proposed film/video.
- The proposal will be accompanied by a five hundred dollar processing fee. The check should be made out to the Kent state university foundation.
- The written proposal will be reviewed by the director of university news and information for completeness.
- The director of university news and information will ask that further information be submitted in writing if the proposal is incomplete.
- The office of legal affairs will review the proposal to determine what, if any, liability or legal concerns should be considered before it forwards the proposal to the office of facilities planning and operations.
- The office of facilities planning and operations will review the proposal and submit a facilities/plant utilization study indicating the impact the proposal will have on the university. The proposal will then be forwarded to the university cabinet.
- The university cabinet will review the studies and determine if the proposal will severely impact the university's mission to educate students and conduct scholarly research, its students and employees, and/or its physical plant.
- If the project receives the approval of the university, cabinet, the production company and/or firm that submitted the proposal must remit a services fee check in an amount equal to six and one-half per cent (6½%) of a film production's gross sales. The check should be made out to the Kent State University foundation.
- The production company and/or firm will receive a users invoice at the completion of the project detailing expenses incurred by the university. A check made out to the Kent state university must be remitted within thirty days of receipt.
Policy Effective Date:Mar. 01, 2015
Policy Prior Effective Dates:11/8/1991, 11/13/1992, 6/1/2007