Strategy 5 Stories: Expanding Breakthrough Research and Creative Endeavors
5. Enhance engagement with social agencies, industry and economic development organizations in order to create research relationships leading to technology development and products.
The narratives below define and bring clarity to what each of the University Strategic Goals means to Academic Affairs. The narratives express our values and beliefs, and create a context to guide implementation efforts. To learn more about the specific strategies and tactics involved in achieving the expansion of breakthrough research and creative endeavors, please view our Academic Affairs Strategic Plan.
The Office of Corporate Engagement and Commercialization (OCEC) builds and expands long-term relationships with industry, leading to new research and development funding and innovative technologies for commercialization and economic development. OCEC works with faculty and solicits input from industry on research, technology development, and workforce training needs in order to inform university research investments and curricular development. OCEC partners with regional economic development organizations and national trade groups, collaborating in major research areas. Results:
- 190 active patents for faculty research
- 9 biosensor patents in U.S.
- 5th in US/Canada for number of companies formed per $1 million in research expenditures
- 5th in US/Canada in number of patents per $1 million in research expenditures