Psychological Services recognizes the unique challenges veterans may face in transitioning to college and are committed to providing support. Common concerns of veteran students presenting for therapy may include depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, and substance abuse.
Other concerns faced by veterans transitioning to college include:
- Difficulty relating to or connecting to traditional college students.
- Difficulties navigating the procedures in higher education, which can be much different than military procedures.
- Not feeling a sense of safety.
- Difficulty finding meaning in situations related to college life that may seem more inconsequential compared to situations related to a deployment or other military experiences.
- Difficulty establishing study habits and skills after being away from academics.
- Difficulty changing primary identity from service member to college student.
Psychological Services provides a supportive and affirming atmosphere for students to explore their individual concerns, and assists students in connecting with other organizations and resources for additional support.
Additional On-Campus Resources:
Center for Adult and Veteran Services
Phone: (330) 672-7933
Student Accessibility Services
Phone: (330) 672-3391
Military One Source
Phone: (800) 342-9647
National Center for PTSD
Student Veterans of America
VA Healthcare System of Ohio
Wounded Warrior Project