Established in 1999, the Research Center for Educational Technology is housed in Moulton Hall on the campus of Kent State University. One of the five original buildings on the Kent campus, Moulton Hall opened in 1917 as a dormitory for women. New dorm construction during the 1950s allowed for the conversion of Moulton Hall to be used for administrative offices and classrooms until the aging building was closed in 1969.
Following extensive renovations, the building was re-opened in 1998 as the Moulton Hall Learning Technologies Center and designed to be a state-of-the-art hub for Kent State initiatives in the applied use of educational technology. Such initiatives included the Ameritech Classroom, now known as the AT&T Classroom.
With $250,000 in funding from The Ameritech Foundation, the classroom was designed under the leadership of Dr. Dale L. Cook, who at the time held the positions of Associate Dean and Summit Professor in Learning Technology. Additional funding from the Ohio Board of Regents and the Martha Holden Jennings Foundation allowed for expansion of the initial facility in 1999 to include a research arm and network now known as The Research Center for Educational Technology (RCET).
Over the years, the mission and work of RCET has continued to advance with additional funding from numerous grants and foundations:
- AT&T Foundation
- GAR Foundation
- Martha Holden Jennings Foundation
- National Science Foundation
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- Palm Inc.
- Ohio Department of Education
- Sloan Consortium on Asynchronous Learning Networks
- U.S. Department of Education