Dress Code and Decency Policy
Dress Code Policy
Shirt and shoes are required except in the locker rooms and swimming pool areas. Clean swim attire must be worn in the pools and whirlpools. Cutoff shorts, T-shirts, thong bikinis, see-through suits and unapproved footwear are prohibited in the natatorium.
Patrons are asked to wear clean athletic shoes that have scuff-resistant, non-marking soles in all activity areas of the facility. Closed toe shoes (no sandals) are required on the fitness floor, weight floor, circuit and track equipment. Patrons must remove shoes before crossing the pool deck when going to and from the outdoor patio.
While on the upper Fitness Floor, lower Fitness Floor, Weight Floor and when using machines in other locations (Track & Circuit), the clothing requirements are as follows:
- Shirts must have an armpit gap that is less than the palm of your hand
- Shirts must cover your full torso not exposing skin below the bra line in the back
- Shorts/pants must be free of belts, studs, rivets and zippers
- Shorts cannot expose the buttocks
- Examples of appropriate and prohibited shirts (PDF)
Footwear requirements: Non-marking shoes are required on all wood floors (i.e. basketball and racquetball courts, the group exercise studio, and multi-purpose rooms). Minimalist shoes (e.g., Vibram Five Finger shoes and other similar shoes) are permitted to be worn throughout the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. Patrons choosing to wear minimalist shoes while using the Student Recreation and Wellness Center do so at their own risk. Department of Recreational Services staff reserves the right to determine if footwear is not appropriate for use.
Standard of Decency
In the interest of encouraging a positive and comfortable environment, the Department of Recreational Services has established the following “Standard of Decency” governing patron attire while participating in programs and open recreation at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. Department staff shall have the discretion to determine the appropriateness of attire and may make special exceptions for patrons in certain programs where applicable. Enforcement of this policy shall be in accordance with the policies of Kent State University.
Standard of Decency prohibits but is not limited to the following:
- Revealing or see-through clothing.
- Exposed underwear including boxers, sports bras and bras
- Overly short shorts
- Exposed genitalia, pubic region, breasts, or buttocks
- Saggy pants revealing underwear or any portion of the body below the naval.
- Visible cleavage, navels, and/or midriffs. No skin should be shown between the bottom of the shirt/blouse and the top of the pants
- Pool Only – Clothing not manufactured specifically for swimming and aquatic activities. (i.e. mesh shorts)
- Clothing that is deemed unsafe to be worn with safety equipment.