ASL Interpreters and Real-Time Transcribers
ASL Interpreters, Real-Time Transcribers
ASL Interpreting or real-time transcribing services are provided at no cost to deaf and hard of hearing students who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Student Accessibility Services (SAS) and students using interpreting or real-time transcribing services will work closely together to maximize the benefit of this service, and to promote equal access to learning.
Register with SAS
Schedule an appointment with SAS. Notify the office if you use sign language or need real-time transcribing for your meeting. If you are an ASL user, meetings will be in ASL.
- Schedule your classes during priority registration
- Request your accommodations using Access KSU every semester
- If you add or drop a class, email firstname.lastname@example.org if you use interpreters and email@example.com if you use real-time transcribers.
Important Class information
- We encourage students and interpreters or transcribers to exchange contact information and contact them directly if you will not attend class.
- Interpreters and transcribers will wait 15 minutes for you to show-up and then leave if you are not attending class.
- The university views internships and field work placements in the same light as regularly scheduled courses at Kent State University. All of the responsibilities and policies regarding use of services (i.e., interpreting and speech-to-text services) remain in effect for all students who earn course credit in field placement and internship programs. These placement situations require prior notification and requests for an ongoing interpreter. SAS strives to provide consistent services for ongoing internships or field work placements, however advance notice in essential for this to be successful.
- Evaluations are emailed each semester. We value your feedback!
Questions or concerns? Who do you contact?
- If at any time you have general questions about your accommodations, closed captioning, contact Shannon Cowling (firstname.lastname@example.org), Assistant Director of Accessible Communication and Media
- If you have specifically about scheduling interpreters, contact Olivia Krise (email@example.com), Interpreter Coordinator.
- Contact Leah Subak (firstname.lastname@example.org), Interpreter Coordinator for more D/deaf community involvement information and workshops.
Video Phone - 330-968-0490