Deadline Modification Policy
The Deadline Modification Accommodation may be appropriate for a student with a disability that experiences brief, periodic flare-ups that may impact adhering to course assignment deadlines. Students experiencing a disability of this nature should contact Student Accessibility Services (SAS) to discuss appropriate accommodations. Please follow the steps outlined on Getting Connected with SAS.
The Deadline Modification Accommodation is specifically designed to build in a slight amount of flexibility around course assignment deadlines in order to address the impact of a brief, periodic disability-related experience. Deadline extensions related to this accommodation are specific to lengthy or complex individual assignments and are typically 24-72 hours in length.
Students should be aware that this accommodation may not be reasonable in all courses. Course requirements vary widely due to course structure and deadline extensions may not be appropriate due to the learning outcomes of the assignment and/or course. SAS, in consultation with the course instructor and other relevant academic parties, will determine if meeting deadlines is an essential element of the course by considering the course description, syllabus, grading methodology, external licensure requirements, the impact on the educational experience of the entire class, and other factors.
In some cases, reasonable adjustments related to deadline adherence may not be possible, and SAS will notify students of this determination in writing to their Kent State email address within a timely fashion. Students are encouraged to work with their academic advisor to discuss options available to them including, but not limited to, taking the course in a subsequent semester when their health has improved, enrolling in a class with a different method of instruction, or course withdrawal. Please note, if the student chooses to remain in the course without the support of a deadline modification accommodation, they are required to adhere to the course assignment deadlines set forth by the instructor and the student's final grade may be impacted due to late assignments.
- Students must meet with SAS to determine eligibility for this accommodation.
- Students must send their Course Accessibility Letter via Access KSU prior to or as close to the start of each semester as possible. Students should also discuss their accommodations and any possible academic barriers with their instructors. As outlined above, this accommodation may not be reasonable in all courses. It is the responsibility of the course instructor to contact SAS within seven business days of receiving the student's course accessibility letter to discuss any concerns about the appropriateness of this accommodation in their course. SAS, in consultation with the course instructor and other relevant academic parties, will determine if adhering to course deadlines is an essential element of the course. SAS will notify students if the accommodation is not reasonable. In this case, students should meet with SAS to discuss other accommodation options and work with their academic advisor to discuss possible course options, including course withdrawal. If the student chooses to remain in the course without the support of a deadline modification accommodation, they are required to adhere to the course assignment deadlines set forth by the instructor and the student's final grade may be impacted due to late assignments.
- Students must notify their instructor by Kent State email that they require a deadline extension at least 24 hours prior to the established deadline. Once the timeline for the deadline modification has been determined by the instructor, students should adhere to the new deadline. Please note, requests for deadline extensions for reasons other than those related to disability are not supported by this accommodation.
- Students are responsible for all academic requirements of the course. Students should contact SAS if they experience a course or professor-related accommodation situation that concerns them. While SAS cannot guarantee that the outcome will meet the student's ideal circumstances, we do promise to consider all relevant variables in determining reasonable access and accommodations.
- Be familiar with the student responsibilities for using this accommodation as outlined above.
- Instructors concerned about the academic integrity or the appropriateness of the accommodation in their course, must contact SAS within seven business days of receiving the student's course accessibility letter. Please note that the deadline modification is expected to remain in effect until a final determination is made by SAS regarding the appropriate use of the accommodation for your course. In consultation with the instructor, department chair, or dean, SAS will determine if adhering to deadlines is an essential element of the course by considering the course description, syllabus, method of grading, external licensure requirements, the impact of the educational experience of the entire class, and other factors.
- Provide reasonable flexibility where possible. When students with the deadline modification accommodation notify the instructor appropriately and with adherence to the above student responsibilities, the instructor should provide a reasonable deadline extension.