Exam Accommodations Policy and Procedure
Exam Accommodation - Policy and Procedure
Eligibility for exam accommodations for qualified students with disabilities is determined on a case-by-case basis. For further information on registration procedures and documentation guidelines, please visit the 'Getting Started' and the 'Documentation Guidelines' section of our website.
Student Accessibility Services (SAS) utilizes a closed-circuit video monitoring system in addition to SAS proctors in our testing facilities. Video content is only accessible by SAS staff and is stored on a secured server. If you have questions or concerns regarding the use of closed-circuit video monitoring, please contact SAS for assistance.
Exam accommodations may include, but are not limited to:
- Distraction-reduced environment
- Extended time
- Reader and/or Scribe
- Alternative format (i.e. large print, Braille, etc.)
- Assistive technology (i.e. CCTV)
- Use of a computer
- Assistance completing scantron
All students utilizing testing services in SAS must adhere to the following:
- You must schedule your exam appointment a minimum of 3 business days in advance to ensure adequate accommodations. Failure to adhere to the exam scheduling policy may result in the inability to take your exam in SAS, having to obtain permission from your professor to reschedule your exam, and/or waiting until a testing room, exam proctor and/or equipment becomes available.
- Unless otherwise directed, students can anticipate that 'extended time' for traditionally timed exams means 50% more time that the class receives for multiple choice, true/false, and short-answer questions, and 100% more time than the class receives for long essay or math questions. Traditionally timed exams are those with specific minute/hour durations prescribed by the course schedule, and/or the instructor, e.g., 50 min, 75 min, 2 hr. & 10 min. This accommodation typically precludes those exams that are 'take home' and/or those that have submission deadlines of 24 or more hours.
- You are required to take your exam on the same day and time as your class. Exceptions will only be made with written permission from your professor.
- All exam appointments and/or cancellations within SAS should be completed through Access KSU. For additional information, please visit the Access KSU page of our website.
- Please be aware that if you do not take your exam during your scheduled appointment, SAS may return the uncompleted exam to your professor.
- Please make sure to schedule enough time to complete your exam. SAS testing hours are Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. All exams are collected at 4:45 p.m. during the regular semester and 4:30 p.m. during final exams week.
- It is your responsibility to inform your professor that you will be completing your exam in the SAS office. It is also your responsibility to remind your professor to send the exam to SAS.
- During your exam, you are only permitted items and materials that your professor has authorized. SAS will verify all items and materials. All other notes, books, bags, purses, cell phones, coats, etc. must be left in the provided space in the SAS office. The SAS proctor and/or SAS Testing Coordinator will immediately collect your exam if you are observed using unauthorized materials/resources and the incomplete exam will be returned to your professor with an explanation of your misconduct.
- You are not permitted to leave the SAS testing room once you begin your exam. In case of emergency, SAS will document and inform your professor if leaving the testing room was necessary.
- For students utilizing a scribe or a reader for their exam, please be aware that a scribe will simply write what is dictated to him/her and a reader will read exactly what is written. Clarification of the meaning of vocabulary words and/or exam questions may require professor permission.