How are college accommodations different from high school accommodations?

There are a few important differences between high school and college accommodations.

  • Your high school IEP or 504 Plan don't automatically follow you to college. You should request that your school send us your information if you don't have a copy. Students cannot use accommodations until they are connected with SAS.
  • Accommodations in college can't alter the essential nature of an assessment, course, or program. While accommodations are designed to provide equal access to the learning environment, SAS cannot request that professors shorten exams, provide opportunities to retake exams, or otherwise change a course or academic program for a student.
  • Accommodations in college are student-driven. Students are responsible¬†for connecting with SAS, for requesting course accessibility letters each semester, and for communicating with their faculty and their access consultant about questions or concerns. SAS is always happy to meet with you to review your accommodations or to answer questions, and your instructors' office hours are a great way to get answers to questions about course content.
  • Parents can't request accommodations or act on your behalf. A parent, family member, or partner can attend your welcome meeting, but SAS can't share information about you without a FERPA waiver on file. You can give FERPA access using FlashLine.