The Bachelor of Arts degree in English prepares students to be insightful readers and innovative writers. Students are introduced to literary traditions and critical methods through core courses and encouraged to pursue personal interests in the selection of a concentration and elective courses. English classes challenge students to develop reading, research and writing skills that will equip them for a wide range of careers.
Students can complete the English major in its entirety at Kent State Stark.
The English major comprises the following concentrations:
- The General concentration allows students to combine elective choices in creative writing, professional writing, rhetoric, historical literatures, genre studies and literary theory based on personal interest.
- The Literature concentration emphasizes the interpretation of literary texts drawn from a variety of historical and cultural contexts. Students develop an understanding of genre conventions and different theoretical and critical methods of analysis.
- The Professional Writing concentration offers training in professional writing and editing. Students select courses in writing, editing and rhetoric. The concentration requires a professional experience elective fulfilled by an internship, service learning placement or an advanced course in editing.
ENGLISH GRADUATES WILL
- Demonstrate specialized knowledge and skills in literary studies or professional writing
- Know research tools and methods appropriate for the academic study of literature, rhetoric or writing.
- Understand and apply a variety of critical theories to the study of literature, rhetoric or writing.
- Produce academic, creative or professional writing with attention to appropriate genre conventions, format and citation guidelines, stylistic expectations and grammatical rules.
- Complete a long written project with the application of appropriate critical, creative or professional approaches; mastery of research methods and resources; and awareness of audience, rhetorical context and discourse functions.