Commencement is a special time for the Kent State Stark community.
Whether a student, faculty or staff member, relative or friend, graduation is an important event that marks a momentous occasion in the lives of our graduates and the entire university community.
KENT STATE STARK SPRING 2020 COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY
A message from President Diacon on Friday, March 20:
In accordance with Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine's order to prohibit large gatherings due to COVID-19, Kent State is postponing all Spring Commencement ceremonies and pre-commencement celebrations. We are exploring alternate options and dates. More information will be provided at a later date.
I know how much commencement means to our graduating undergraduate and graduate students, their proud parents and family members, and the entire university community as both an annual tradition and a rite of passage. I, too, am disappointed that our students won't be able to cross the stage in May.
Rest assured, those eligible to graduate will earn their diplomas! Students have earned all the accolades coming their way, and I look forward to congratulating them in person at a future date.
In the short term, we will continue to focus first on staying healthy and second on supporting one another in completing coursework to finish the spring semester strong. As we navigate this challenging time, please remember to treat each other with kindness and respect in all that we do as Flashes take care of Flashes.
Umstattd Hall is the permanent home of the Canton Symphony Orchestra and is located on the Canton McKinley Senior High School campus.
FOLLOW THESE TWO EASY STEPS TO PREPARE FOR GRADUATION:
1. Make your reservation to participate in the ceremony - required
Deadline: Friday, May 1 at 5 p.m.
Please make your reservation before attending the Graduation Fair.
2. ATTEND THE GRADUATION FAIR IN THE CAMPUS CENTER
All your graduation needs in one convenient location. It takes only a few minutes!
Stop by either day:
- Wednesday, March 4 between 4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday, March 5 between 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Representatives from the following areas will be available to assist you:
- Student Services - pick up your Commencement tickets (up to six per graduate)
- Bookstore - order your cap, gown and tassel
- Receive guidance from Career Services and Financial Aid
- Jostens - order graduation announcements and class rings
Questions about Commencement should be directed to Ruby Groves at 330-244-3279.
HONOR CORDS - IF APPLICABLE TO YOU
- Review Graduation with Institutional Honors.
- If applicable, pick up the appropriate cords from Ruby Groves in the Office of Student Services, 132 Main Hall.
- Honor Cords are not available at the Graduation Fair.
IF YOU CAN'T ATTEND THE GRADUATION FAIR, YOU MUST DO THE FOLLOWING:
- Make your reservation to participate in the ceremony by Friday, May 1 at 5 p.m.
- Pick up your tickets (maximum six) in the Office of Student Services, 132 Main Hall, beginning Friday, March 6 (see instructions below).
- Stop at the Bookstore before April 6 to order your cap, gown and tassel (see instructions below).
WHEN TO ARRIVE AT COMMENCEMENT
- Time: 5:30 p.m.
- Report to the assembly area; staff will be there to direct you
- Leave your personal belongings with family members
- Have a digital photo taken with Kent State Stark Dean Denise A. Seachrist
There will not be a traditional graduation practice prior to Commencement. Graduates will be given detailed instructions when they arrive.
Acceptable attire under your gown is professional dress such as dresses, skirts or dress pants with dress shoes or boots.
Tickets are required for admission to the ceremony. Each graduate will be issued up to six (6) tickets. Tickets will be available to pick up at the Graduation Fair in the Campus Center on March 4 & 5.
Beginning Friday, March 6, tickets will be available to pick up in the Office of Student Services until Friday, May 1 at 5 p.m. Any tickets not claimed by Friday, May 1 will be made available to graduates who need additional tickets. If tickets are available, you may pick up four (4) additional tickets beginning Monday, May 4 in the Office of Student Services.
CAPS, GOWNS & TASSELS
The Bookstore will be taking orders for caps, gowns and tassels at the Graduation Fair in the Campus Center on March 4 & 5.
Caps, gowns and tassels must be ordered at the Graduation Fair or before April 6. Any orders taken after April 6 may incur a late fee service charge and sizes will be limited. Contact the Bookstore at 330-244-3204 for more information.
ANNOUNCEMENTS & CLASS RINGS
A representative from Jostens will be at the Graduation Fair in the Campus Center on March 4 & 5. Announcements and class rings must be special ordered through Jostens.
Diplomas are mailed to your permanent address 6-8 weeks after the commencement ceremony. You will not receive your actual diploma at Commencement. Please make sure your address is up to date in FlashLine. The name that will appear on your diploma is the name on your student academic record. This is the name that prints on your transcript, invoice, schedule, etc.
Diploma frames can be purchased through the Bookstore.