The Bachelor of Science degree in Insurance Studies provides students with the academic background for career entry in the insurance industry.
The Insurance Studies degree program offers a robust core of business-oriented courses, including management, business law and ethics, economics, human resources, selling, finance and marketing.
Building on this core curriculum are courses that provide the opportunity to explore all lines of insurance, including personal lines, commercial lines, life and health insurance. Students also take on an internship during their third year to reinforce their insurance industry knowledge and gain real-world experience.
The knowledge gained in the insurance program permits students to join any organization within the insurance industry with a solid understanding of applicable products, regulations, operations and policy contracts. Students graduate with knowledge of several specific insurance industry facets, such as property and casualty insurance, life and health insurance, insurance company and agency operations, insurance regulation, insurance finance and risk management.
The Insurance Studies degree program is offered fully online and also as a hybrid program (a combination of in-person and online classes).
Insurance Studies at Kent State Stark
- Kent State Stark offers a hybrid degree program, a combination of in-person classes at Kent State Stark and online classes
- Kent Core requirements, select major requirements and select electives can be completed in person at Kent State Stark
- An Insurance Studies minor is also offered online, and select minor electives can be completed in person at Kent State Stark
Why Insurance Studies?
- Over 200,000 people in Ohio are employed by the insurance industry
- The average insurance industry position pays an average salary of $50,000
- Program graduates are eligible to sit for Ohio insurance agents' licenses
- Students must complete an internship (that could eventually turn into a full-time position)
To learn more about careers in the insurance industry, contact:
Assistant Director for Employer Relations & Internships
Kent State University at Stark
sfowle13 [at] kent.edu
Graduates in this program will be able to
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the insurance industry
- Possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills to identify and critically assess problems facing the insurance industry
- Identify and assess legal and ethical issues surrounding insurance industry decisions
- Work effectively in a team-based environment