Stress-free Gift-giving Tips
The holidays are here again, which means it is once again time for gifts. This can be hard for students who may have limited time and budgets. If one is not careful, gift giving can cause a lot of unwanted holiday stress. So here are a few ideas to consider to limit your holiday stress.
- Gift your time: Sometimes, spending some uninterrupted time with someone can mean more than a monetary gift.
- Share a meal with someone or a group of people: Instead of exchanging gifts, gather for a meal. This could be at a restaurant or dining hall or, better yet, have a budget friendly potluck.
- Craft together: Crafting alone can reduce stress. If done with a group of friends, it can be a great way to spend time together instead of giving physical gifts. If getting creative is not for you, engage in another activity that you all enjoy or, better yet, try something new.
- Set budgets: If you are giving physical gifts, set a budget and stick to it. Also, consider setting budgets for everyone in a gift exchange with family or friends, i.e., everyone spends under $15-20.
- Most of all, don’t forget yourself: If spending money is going to put you in a tough financial situation, DO NOT DO IT. You financial health is just as important as any other area of your health and you do not owe anyone an explanation for not spending.