Tips For a Successful Semester
The beginning of a new semester can be both an exciting and stressful time. It is easy to become overwhelmed looking at the pile of textbooks sitting in front of you and thinking about all of the upcoming assignments for the semester. This can lead to excess stress or worry that can affect both your physical and mental health. Below are a few tips to consider when planning for a successful semester.
- Plan ahead! Use course schedules to plan for assignment due dates and to set aside time to work on projects and papers.
- Use your professors’ office hours. After all, they set aside those hours for you. Have questions or struggling with an assignment? Office hours are the perfect time to ask these questions. Remember to reach out to professors early so that they can help you in the best way possible. That way you are able to do your best on assignments. If you wait too long, you could risk failing an assignment or the course.
Side note: The semester ends the last week in April. The semester is the same length it has always been, but it seems shorter with classes ending in April instead of May as they have in the past.
- Use other available resources such as tutoring, supplemental instruction, the Writing Commons, or learning skills workshops.
- Take care of your physical and mental health. Attend wellness activities on campus, such as yoga, Meditation Across Campus, or other wellness event. If needed, don't hesitate to use on-campus resources, such as University Health Services, the Counseling Center, or the Psychological Clinic.
- Don’t forget to have fun. Spending too much time on school work may lead to unnecessary stress or worry. Make sure you are setting aside time to spend time with friends or to engage in other activities you enjoy.