Parents & Families

Membership in the Parents & Families Association is an excellent way for parents and families to get connected to the university, learn about many of the resources that are available to their student and to them, and keep apprised of important dates and upcoming events.

To join and/or to find out more information about this resource, please see the Parents & Families Association website.

Parents & Families Association


Thank you for entrusting your student to Kent State University as they pursue their educational ambitions with us! We are truly humbled by your trust, and we value your partnership in working to ensure that your student is as successful as they can be here.  

We understand that being the parent or family member of a college student isn’t always easy. While we encourage parents’ and families’ support of their students, we also strongly advocate for the independence of those students as maturing adults.

If/when your student encounters a difficult situation, a conflict, a disappointing grade, a sense of frustration with a process or a person, your best course of action is to encourage them to first handle it on their own.  We realize it may be challenging to watch them struggle with these frustrating or disappointing situations; but encouraging your student to independently address these concerns gives them agency, helps develop their self-confidence, and demonstrates your trust and belief in them.

In your role as a parent or family member, we encourage you to support your student by brainstorming with them how best to resolve the issue, who they may need to contact, and how to approach the person or situation they are confronting. Students’ ownership of the issue and figuring out how best to manage it, however, is part of their college experience and maturational development. If you, as a parent or family member, would like to consult with someone at the university as to how you can best be supportive of your student when a conflict arises, you are welcome to contact the Student Ombuds for suggestions.



If your student experiences a medical or mental health emergency, call – or have them call – 911. 

Otherwise, the staff at the DeWeese Health Center are able to provide medical treatment for acute illnesses, minor injuries, immunizations, women’s health care, x-ray, and laboratory work. They also have an onsite pharmacy.  For more information about their hours of operation, scope of services, scheduling an appointment, etc. you may call 330-672-2322, or visit their website.

Counseling and Psychological Services, located in Van Campen Hall, is staffed with licensed psychologists and counselors, as well as psychology fellows and graduate interns who are supervised by licensed clinicians. These psychologists and counselors have training and expertise in college student mental health concerns and offer confidential mental health services. Counseling and Psychological Services can be reached at 330-672-2487 or via the CAPS website

Additionally, the university has partnered with various entities to provide a resource called Step Up Speak Out. Among other things, this resource identifies campus and community resources that can help students address their own – or friends’ – mental health concerns. Step Up Speak Out is available through a mobile app as well as a linked website. Students can access both by visiting the Step Up Speak Out website.