RecycleMania is a friendly competition and benchmarking tool for college and university recycling programs to promote waste reduction activities to their campus communities.
Eight Weeks of RecycleMania
Over an eight-week period each spring, colleges across the United States and Canada report the amount of recycling and trash collected each week and are in turn ranked in various categories based on who recycles the most on a per capita basis, as well as which schools have the best recycling rate as a percentage of total waste and which schools generate the least amount of combined trash and recycling.
2020 RecycleMania tournament
- Competition run dates: Feb. 2 to March 28
- With each week’s updated ranking, participating schools follow their performance against other colleges and use the results to rally their campus to reduce and recycle more.
How to Help
- 1) HOST A RECYCLEMANIA EVENT and help Kent State in the NEW Zero Waste Competition Category!
- 1) any education campaigns on waste reduction and responsible recycling to reduce contamination (0.15 points per educational effort) OR
- 2) activities such as move-out to resell or donations efforts, fix-it fairs, distribution of reusable items for students, faculty, staff, etc. (0.2 points per reuse activity) during RecycleMania (February 2- March 28) counts as points towards the NEW Zero Waste Competition Category.
- 2) Use #KSUrecycles on Instagram and Twitter. Photos will appear on our tagboard here: https://www.kent.edu/sustainability/ksurecycles
- Show us what you’re doing to REDUCE, REUSE or RECYCLE from Feb. 2 - March 28 on Instagram or Twitter for a chance to win t-shirts, reusable bags, water bottles, stainless steel straws, and stickers.
Kent State RecycleMania Custodian Award Nomination
Do you think your custodian is fabulous? Do they do an amazing job? Recognize them! NOMINATE custodial staff to be entered for a chance to win a RecycleMania Custodian Award. Any Kent State persons can nominate (students, faculty, staff)! Nominations due by midnight March 21.
Recyclepalooza hosted by Kent Interhall Council and Residence Services
Wednesday February 5 at 7 p.m. Kent State Student Center 2nd floor ballroom. A free RecycleMania kickoff event including prizes, free food, carnival booth, mechanical bull, music and fun!
FREE Resident Assistant RecycleMania Floor Programs
2020 RecycleMania Posters
NEW Recycling Guide 11x17
NEW Landfill Guide 11x17
NEW Paired Recycling and Landfill Guide 11x17
NEW Recycling Guide 8.5x11
NEW Landfill Guide 8.5x11
2020 RecycleMania Tip of the Week
0 Tip of the Week Prizes 1600x900 January 26
2 Tip of the Week Paper 1600x900 February 9
3 Tip of the Week To Go Cups 1600x900 February 16
4 Tip of the Week Pizza Boxes 1600x900 February 23
6 Tip of the Week Metal 1600x900 March 8
Kent State Competitions
Everyone is a participant in RecycleMania. Your actions on campus reducing, reusing and recycling prevent waste from going into landfills and also contribute to Kent State's RecycleMania standings. Bimonthly competitions will be held with prize drawings.
- Hall-to-Hall Competitions: Halls will have a chance to earn a $200 for their Hall Council, Hotz Points and a tree planting. Halls are divided up into small, medium and large competition categories.
- #KSUrecycles tagboard: Help promote Kent State’s ongoing recycling efforts and stay connected during RecycleMania by including #KSURecycles on twitter and Instagram for a chance to win a prize!
- Custodial Area Competition: Custodial area staff in academic areas are competing to see what academic buildings have the highest diversion rate (the percentage of material recycled out of our campus trash and recycling streams). Custodial staff with the highest diversion rate in their campus area will be awarded prizes during an awards ceremony.
The eight-week event the includes a tournament between Kent State University and the University of Akron. This head-to-head competition is based on what school recycles the most per capita. The winner at the end of eight weeks receives the Braggin’ Wheel, a trophy made of recyclable materials, and braggin’ rights for the year.
Throughout the United States and Canada, over 300 colleges and universities are participating in RecycleMania. National recognition is provided to the winning school in each category on the RecycleMania website and in a national press release. Winning schools receive an award made out of recyclable materials, and win the right to host that category’s special traveling trophy for the coming year.
See where Kent State ranks on the virtual scoreboard.
Kent State University holds a FREE electronics recycling drop-off event, called E-Cycle Drive, open to students, faculty, staff and the Kent community. E-Cycle Drive is hosted by Kent State's University Facilities Management and the Office of Sustainability. Electronics recycling from the community and the Kent Campus contributes to Kent State University’s standings in RecycleMania.
2020 E-Cycle Drive is February 19 and 26; March 4, 11, 18 from 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. in the Kent State University R-17 Parking lot behind Starbucks, between S. Willow Street and S. Lincoln Street. E-Cycle Drive allows participants to recycle unwanted electronics using Kent State University’s electronics recycling vendor RET3. Materials permitted at E-Cycle Drive include just about anything with a cord: personal computers, laptop computers, servers and storage devices, monitors CRT and LCD, docking stations, floppy drives, DVD/CD burners, VCRs, circuit boards, scanners, copiers, printers, cables, wires, extension cords, digital cameras, cellular phones, DVD players, network and telecom equipment. TVs and kitchen appliances are NOT accepted at E-Cycle Drive.