RecycleMania is a friendly competition and benchmarking tool for college and university recycling programs to promote waste reduction activities to their campus communities.
Eight Weeks of RecycleMania
Over an 8-week period each spring, colleges across the United States and Canada report the amount of recycling and trash collected each week and are in turn ranked in various categories based on who recycles the most on a per capita basis, as well as which schools have the best recycling rate as a percentage of total waste and which schools generate the least amount of combined trash and recycling.
2019 Recyclemania tournament
- Competition Run Dates: Feb. 3 to March 30
- With each week’s updated ranking, participating schools follow their performance against other colleges and use the results to rally their campus to reduce and recycle more.
FREE Resident Assistant RecycleMania Floor Programs
2019 RecycleMania Posters
kent state competitions
Everyone is a participant in RecycleMania. Your actions on campus reducing, reusing and recycling prevent waste from going into landfills and also contribute to Kent State's RecycleMania standings. Bimonthly competitions will be held with prize drawings.
- Hall-to-Hall Competitions: Halls will have a chance to earn a $200 for their Hall Council, Hotz Points and a tree planting. Halls are divided up into small, medium, and large competition cateogories.
- RecycleMania Pledge
- #KSUrecycles tagboard Help promote Kent State’s ongoing recycling efforts and stay connected during RecycleMania by including #KSURecycles in your social media posts! View the RecycleMania Pledge poster above for information on how to entery to win raffle prizes.
- Custodial Area Competition: Custodial area staff in academic areas are competing to see what academic buildings have the highest diversion rate (the percentage of material recycled out of our campus trash and recycling streams). Custodial staff with the highest diversion rate in their campus area will be awarded prizes during an awards ceremony.
The eight-week event the includes a tournament between Kent State University and the University of Akron. This head to head competition is based on what school recycles the most per capita. The winner at the end of eight weeks receives the Braggin’ Wheel, a trophy made of recyclable materials, and braggin’ rights for the year.
Throughout the United States and Canada, over 300 colleges and universities are participating in RecycleMania. National recognition is provided to the winning school in each category on the RecycleMania website and in a national press release. Winning schools receive an award made out of recyclable materials, and win the right to host that category’s special traveling trophy for the coming year.
See where Kent State ranks on the virtual scoreboard.
Kent State University holds a FREE electronics recycling drop-off event, called E-Cycle Drive open to students, faculty, staff and the Kent Community. E-Cycle Drive is hosted by Kent State University University Facilities Management and the Office of Sustainability. Electronics recycling from the community and Kent State campus contributes to Kent State University’s standings in RecycleMania.
2019 E-Cycle Drive is February 27, March 6, 13, 20 from 7:30am - 3:00pm in the Kent State University R-17 Parking lot behind Starbucks between S. Willow Street and S. Lincoln Street. E-CycleDrive allows participants to recycle unwanted electronics using Kent State University’s electronics recycling vendor RET3. Materials permitted at E-CycleDrive include just about anything with a cord: personal computers, laptop computers, servers and storage devices, monitors CRT and LCD, docking stations, floppy drives, DVD/CD burners, VCRs, circuit boards, scanners, copiers, printers, cables, wires, extension cords, digital cameras, cellular phones, DVD players, network and telecom equipment. TVs and kitchen appliances are NOT accepted at E-Cycle Drive.