Bachelor of Arts in Dance Studies
A Versatile Degree For Dancers
The Bachelor of Arts in Dance Studies allows students who have some previous dance experience and a strong interest in another subject area to combine the two into one degree option. The curriculum provides students with a solid foundation in dance techniques and dance academics while encouraging exploration of secondary areas through a double major or minor that can be combined with dance to enhance opportunities for future employment.
Reasons to Choose Kent State
- The Kent Dance Ensemble (KDE) - a pre-professional contemporary dance company, housed within a vibrant School of Theatre and Dance.
- An impressive professional faculty offer a BFA focused on performance and choreography.
- A BA in Dance Studies that allows one to complete a double major!
- An ongoing roster of professional guest artists including choreographers, instructors and lecturers representing a wide range of dance styles and career perspectives.
- A balanced curricular approach that combines rigorous training with academic excellence nurturing tomorrow's dance artists and scholars.
- Small enough to provide personalized training and large enough to offer access to a world of possibilities!
Combining Dance with another major or minor will provide support for careers in areas such as: Dance and Fitness studio ownership or operation (Business, Entrepreneurship, Recreation Management); Dance Therapy (Psychology); Dance Production (Theatre); Dance criticism (Journalism); Arts Management (Event planning, Stage Management); Costume, lighting or scenic design for dance (Theatre); Dance medicine (Athletic Training, Exercise Science) and Dance Photography (Photojournalism) to name a few. Future dance teachers can broaden their potential marketability if they possess skills in ASL or in teaching students with physical or developmental challenges (Special Education).
Admission & Audition Requirements
General Admission for Freshman Students
Students most likely to be admitted and succeed at the Kent Campus have achieved a cumulative high school grade point average of 3.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale), and whose composite ACT score is 23 or better or an average SAT score of 1130. For more information on admissions, visit the Admissions website for new freshmen.
Apply for Freshman Admission to Kent State
General Admission for Transfer Students
Generally, a transfer applicant who has taken 12 or more semester hours with a college cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale may be admitted. An applicant who has taken fewer than 12 semester hours will be evaluated on both collegiate and high school records. For more information on admissions, visit the Admissions website for transfer students.
Apply for Transfer Admission to Kent State
Audition for the Dance Studies Program
Students that wish to enroll in the Dance Studies program at Kent State University must participate in a Dance audition.
Dance Audition Requirements and Instructions
Students in the Dance Studies program must complete a minimum of 120 credit hours and maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA in major courses and overall 2.0 GPA to graduate. The Dance Studies program can be successfully completed in 4 years (8 semesters) if a minimum of 15-16 credit hours are taken per semester.