"My time at Kent State helped develop me not only as an artist and a person, but as a young professional entering the field of dance. I built a family of friends, a wealth of knowledge, and a network of tools that will never leave me."
– Sabatino A. Verlezza (BFA, Dance Performance '12)
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance Performance
Immerse Yourself in Dance
The Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) program in Dance Performance develops technically sound, intellectually diverse and creatively expressive dance artists and scholars who can contribute significantly to the art form and society. The curriculum provides students with opportunities for strong preparation in a variety of dance genres and dance composition, as well as opportunities for performance and the presentation of original choreography.
Reasons to Choose Kent State
- The Kent Dance Ensemble (KDE) - a pre-professional contemporary dance company, housed within a vibrant School of Theatre and Dance.
- An impressive professional faculty offer a BFA focused on performance and choreography.
- A BA in Dance Studies that allows one to complete a double major!
- An ongoing roster of professional guest artists including choreographers, instructors and lecturers representing a wide range of dance styles and career perspectives.
- A balanced curricular approach that combines rigorous training with academic excellence nurturing tomorrow's dance artists and scholars.
- Small enough to provide personalized training and large enough to offer access to a world of possibilities!
The BFA prepares students for careers as performers, creators and presenters. Dancers and choreographers work in a variety of industries, such as public and private educational settings, performing companies, and amusement and recreation venues, such as casinos, theme parks and cruise ships.
Related areas of employment include dance curation, dance administration, and therapeutic modalities such as dance science and medicine, physical and occupational therapy, dance therapy.
Admission & Audition Requirements
General Admission for Freshman Students
Students most likely to be admitted and succeed at the Kent Campus have achieved a cumulative high school grade point average of 3.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale), and whose composite ACT score is 23 or better or an average SAT score of 1130. For more information on admissions, visit the Admissions website for new freshmen.
General Admission for Transfer Students
Generally, a transfer applicant who has taken 12 or more semester hours with a college cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale may be admitted. An applicant who has taken fewer than 12 semester hours will be evaluated on both collegiate and high school records. For more information on admissions, visit the Admissions website for transfer students.
Dance Program Audition
Students that wish to enroll in the Dance Performance program at Kent State University must also complete a separate application for admission to the Dance Performance program and participate in a Dance audition.
Students in the Dance Performance program must complete a minimum of 120 credit hours and maintain a minimum 2.75 GPA in major courses and overall 2.5 GPA to graduate. The Dance Performance program can be successfully completed in 4 years (8 semesters) if a minimum of 15-17 credit hours are completed per semester.