School of Theatre and Dance Welcomes Alvin Ailey's Lakey Evans-Pena
The Ailey School, the educational component of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, will be at Kent State on Sat., March 14 to audition students for the Ailey School's summer intensive program. Lakey Evans-Pena, Horton faculty and Ailey/Fordham Student Dancers' Rehearsal Director, will visit the School of Theatre and Dance to run the audition.
How To Register
- Visit the Online Application/Audition portal at: https://enroll.theaileyschool.edu
- If you are a new applicant, please create an account by clicking "Register Now."
- Please save the username and password for your record and/or for any future applications.
- After you have created your username and password, return to the Application Portal site and Login to start the application.
- If you already have an account from your previous application with us, please log in using the username and password you used when you started the application with Ailey.
- Once you have logged in, select to "Start Form" for the Private-Kent State University Application Form.
- Once you have entered all your information and paid the $20.00 required fee, you must click the Review button.
- After reviewing your completed Application, you need to click the Submit button to complete your application.
Please note: Online Registration is mandatory and registration will close 24 hours prior to the audition date or once the audition reaches capacity. NO WALK-INS WILL BE ALLOWED.
About Lakey Evans-Pena
As a member of the Ailey family, Lakey discovered her zest for education through the Ailey’s National Outreach Program with Arts In Education, which allowed her to travel across the country and engage an incredibly diverse spectrum of different people. Over the past 20 years, Lakey has been on the teaching faculty of The Ailey School (including Ailey Camp and a Horton instructor with their partnership with Professional Performing Arts School/PPAS), The American Dance Festival (teaching and resetting Mr. Ailey’s Escapades & Isba works), Hollins University, Ballet Hispanico, Peridance, and as a guest teacher for Broadway Dance Center and NYU Tisch. For the past 3 years Lakey has been the adjudicator with Melanie Person on the audition tour for the Ailey/Fordham BFA Program and The Ailey School’s Summer Intensive.
She is a CPT specializing in pre/post-natal fitness, TRX, Pilates Mat, and Functional Stability -Postural training. She was a contributor and featured artist in The Method Series, a dance/pilates fitness fusion DVD collection.
Lakey founded Williamsburg Movement and Arts Center to help individuals of all backgrounds discover their inner artist and dancing spirit. Her mission is to develop and sustain dance.
About The Ailey School
Founded in 1969, The Ailey School is a beacon of dance education located at the Joan Weill Center for Dance in New York.Its mission is to make dance accessible to young people through dance training, to offer students the opportunity to follow an accredited curriculum of diversified dance training of the highest professional caliber, to maintain a professional faculty of exceptional teachers, musicians and guest artists, to train outstanding students as professional dancers and provide them with merit-based scholarships and need-based federal financial aid, and to offer a range of student services including artistic advisors, housing assistance, physical therapy services, and professional counseling for nutrition and psychological well-being.