Automatic Associate Degree Awarding FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions About Receiving Your Associate Degree

  • Q. Will I have to reapply for admission if I earn an associate degree?
    A. No, you will not have to reapply for admission. You will just continue to enroll as you work toward your bachelor’s degree.
  • Q. Will I need to re-declare my major?
    A. No, you will remain in your declared bachelor’s degree program.
  • Q. Will earning an associate degree impact my financial aid eligibility?
    A. No, your financial aid eligibility will not be affected by earning the associate degree.
  • Q. Will my student loans go into repayment six months after I earn my associate degree?
    A. No. As long as you are continuously enrolled and working on your bachelor’s degree, earning your associate degree will not change your loan repayment schedule. However, because loan counseling is required upon completion of any degree, you are required to complete exit loan counseling at
  • Q. Will I receive the Associate of Arts or the Associate of Science?  
    A. If your bachelor’s degree is a Bachelor of Science, you will receive the Associate of Science. All others will receive the Associate of Arts.  
  • Q. Will I receive a diploma?  
    A. Yes, your associate degree diploma will be mailed to your permanent/diploma address as it appears in FlashLine. Please check your address for accuracy.
  • Q. Will the associate degree appear on my transcript?
    A. Yes, your associate degree will be viewable on your transcript in FlashFAST on June 11, 2015.
  • Q. Must I attend commencement to receive my associate degree?
    A. No, you are not required to attend your campus’ commencement ceremony in order to receive your associate degree.  
  • Q. Can I repeat a course later if I have my associate degree?
    A. Yes, courses taken as part of a completed associate degree may be repeated under the course repeat policy.
  • Q. Can I use the Academic Forgiveness Policy if I have been awarded an associate degree?
    A. The Academic Forgiveness Policy can apply to any course not used in awarding the associate degree.   
  • Q. What should I do if I do not want an associate degree?
    A. You can opt out of receiving your associate degree by contacting Dr. Jim Ritter at 330-675-8935.
  • Q. If I opt out of the associate degree, can I change my mind and still receive it?
    A. Yes, you can get the degree if you contact your campus by June 1, 2015. If you miss the deadline, you can still choose to earn the degree by completing an undergraduate change of major and applying to graduate.
  • Q. What should I do if I already have an associate degree from another college or university?
    A. You should select to opt out by May 15, 2015.