Excite To Write
For the third consecutive year, Kent State University at Trumbull is proud to sponsor "Excite to Write Scholarship," an essay writing contest for area high school juniors, seniors, and honor students.
We invite high school students to submit their fiction or nonfiction to one of these categories:
- Short analytical essays (700-1000 words)
- Research papers (1000-1700 words)
- Short-stories (700-1000 words)
We welcome submissions that:
- Provide a creative and original exploration of a particular topic
- Demonstrate complex and insightful critical thinking
- Display a sophisticated use of relevant examples
- Exhibit a thorough understanding of writing conventions
- Essay structure and paragraph construction
- Citation and format (suggested styles: MLA and APA)
- Mechanics (correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar)
Four seniors will be awarded a $750 scholarship to Kent State University at Trumbull.
Created by Kent State Trumbull English faculty members Ana Wetzl, Ph.D., and James Canacci, the purpose of the program is to help students realize that writing skills matter, while at the same time, strengthening Kent State Trumbull’s connection with local high schools that help make up much of its student body. The program does not create additional work for teachers or students; all submissions should be papers the students have already written for one of their regular English courses. The Excite to Write program is about recognizing the hard work which students have already put forth, not about making more.
Additional program information is available to:
All works submitted will be read by Kent State University at Trumbull English faculty and English majors.
Entries will be accepted between November 1, 2017, and January 25, 2018.