Agribusiness is where business meets farming! It combines a love of the outdoors with the intrigue of the trade.
Ohio’s agriculture industry contributes $93 Billion to the State’s economic growth. In Tuscarawas County, agriculture is one of the largest industries, contributing $95 million annually to the county’s economy. Agriculture employs one-in-seven Ohioans in areas such as wholesaling, retailing, farm production, marketing and agribusiness.
Agribusiness is a complex economic system that affects every member of the global community – from producer to consumer – and is a critical industry in Ohio and nationwide. It includes farm production and businesses that supply seed, fertilizer, chemicals, feed, fencing and equipment, and comprises sectors such as financing, insurance and marketing. Students in the new program will be prepared for jobs including management in an agribusiness firms, agricultural commodity merchandising, finance and lending, real estate management and investment, international trade, entrepreneurship, agricultural production, relationship and sales management, and food marketing and advertising.
Why choose agribusiness?
- Tuscarawas, Carroll, Holmes, Harrison, Coshocton, Guernsey and Stark Counties include over 7,600 farms for a total of 1,012,948 acres.*
- There are over 75,000 farms in Ohio totaling 13,960,604 acres
- Ohio has approximately 800 food processing plants throughout the state
- Ohio’s dairy industry accounts for $7 billion in economic activity
- Ohio ranks nationally as
- Ninth in the number of farms
- First in the production of Swiss cheese
Why choose the agribusiness program at Kent State Tuscarawas?
The Bachelor of Science in Agribusiness at Kent State Tuscarawas:
- blends business and agriculture with a focus on analytic and problem solving skills
- combines the decision-making framework of business and the technical aspects of modern agriculture and food systems
- focuses on plant, animal and soil sciences along with marketing, sales and management techniques in production
- uses computer agricultural business technology simulations
- meets the agribusiness industry’s need for professionals and entrepreneurs who have the educational background to become successful decision-makers in the rapidly changing agribusiness world
Graduates of this program will qualify for positions in a variety of agribusiness areas such as:
- Farm Production
- Agricultural Commodity Merchandising
- Finance and Lending
- Real Estate Management and Investment
- International Trade
- Agricultural Production
- Marketing and Advertising
Competencies Upon Completion
Graduates of the program will be able to:
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the agribusiness industry.
- Evaluate and apply agriculture principles, methods and techniques in an agribusiness environment.
- Possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills to identify and critically assess problems facing the agribusiness industry.
- Work effectively in a team-based environment.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Use computer technology and mathematical reasoning.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional understanding and conduct.