Common Mistakes to Avoid
QUICK TEXT TIPS
- website (Web is capitalized if used alone and referring to the World Wide Web)
- email (no hyphen)
Kent State email address (not University email address, KSU email address, Kent email address, FlashLine address)
Advisor – use the -or ending, not –er
Ampersand (&) — university style uses “and,” not an ampersand unless an ampersand is part of the proper name of a nonuniversity entity or if it is being used as a navigation or design element in the website
Phone number treatment: xxx-xxx-xxxx (use hyphens, not parentheses)
- 8 a.m. or 3 p.m.
- 8:30 a.m. or 3:30 p.m.
- 8-9 a.m.
- 8 – 9:30 a.m.
- 10:30 a.m. – noon
- noon – 2:30 p.m.
- 2:30-3:30 p.m.
- 3:30 – 5 p.m.
- January 2010 (not abbreviated without a date)
- Jan. 15, Feb. 21, March, April, May, June, July, Aug. 22, Sept. 23, Oct. 31, Nov. 11, Dec. 12 (abbreviated with a date)
Guidelines around KSU
- When referring to the university, avoid KSU. Spell out Kent State University in first reference, and then use Kent State or university in subsequent references.
- When university is used alone to mean Kent State University, it is in lowercase.
Use "and" — avoid & (ampersand) — in names of Kent State programs, offices, departments, schools, colleges and divisions.
On first reference, full department names are written out in entirety and capitalized (i.e., University Relations and Development). On second reference, it may be shortened and lowercased (i.e., development).
Treatment of Kent State terminology and Spelling/Case
- catalog (not graduate catalog, undergraduate catalog)
- eight-campus system NOT network
- Kent State ID number (not Banner ID)
- FlashLine user name (not FlashLine ID, user name, email ID, user ID)
- FLASHcard (not FlashCard, Flashcard, FlashCARD)
- FlashLine (not Flashline or Flash Line)
- Kent Core (not LER)
- See You @ College
- Student Green
- Preview KSU!