Flashline & Email Criteria
FlashLine - Email or Notification?
A FlashLine communication can be distributed as either:
- An email, if the request meets email criteria and is approved by the Vice President of the requesting area.
- A FlashLine notification within the university's portal.
In either instance, the message can be distributed to everyone in the university community or a subset of individuals within the university community.
FlashLine requests should be submitted at least 48 hours in advance. A request for an email must be one of these criteria:
- Campus-wide critical notification, such as campus closings or presidential announcements
- Important campus deadline or other time-sensitive information for students related to payments and registration dates
- Important changes in student services
- Announcement of official policies or changes in policy
- Announcement from governance groups (USS/Faculty Senate/GSS)
If your request does not meet one of the criteria, it will be posted as a FlashLine Notification in FlashLine. What does this look like?
Examples of Appropriate Use
To provide scenarios that will help you determine the most appropriate communication vehicle for your information, examples of acceptable and unacceptable email requests appear below.
|Criteria||Appropriate Request||Inappropriate Request||Alternative Outlet(s) for Inappropriate Requests|
|Campuswide critical notification||Campus closing||Call for papers for a symposium||Faculty / Staff News Now, FlashLine Notification|
|Important campus deadline or other time-sensitive information for students.
Student organization requests will not be sent as a targeted announcement. Instead, they will be posted as a FlashLine Notification.
|Class registration deadline||Concert or event||e-calendar, departmental websites, FlashLine Notification|
|Important changes in student services||New parking lot regulations||New academic class offering||FlashLine Notification, departmental websites|
|Announcement of official policies or changes in policy||New sick leave policy|
|Announcement from governance groups (USS/Faculty Senate/GSS)||Election dates, times||Meeting reminders||Faculty / Staff News Now, FlashLine Notification|