- Academic Departments
- Academic Success Center
- Academic Learning Center, Columbiana Campus
- Academic Advising - Undergraduate
- Academic STARS
- Academic Testing Services
- Academic Transfer
- Accreditation, Assessment and Learning (formerly Academic Quality Improvement Project or AQIP)
- Accounting, Department of
- Accounts Payable
- Accessibility Services
- Administrative Offices
- Adult Students
- Advanced Placement Program
- Aerospace Studies/Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corp
- Affirmative Action Office
- Air Force ROTC
- Alma Mater
- Alumni Relations
- Animal Research
- Annual Kent State Symposium on Democracy
- Apps, Kent State
- Anthropology, Department of
- Architecture and Environmental Design, College of
- Architect's Office
- Army ROTC
- Art, School of
- Art Education
- Arts and Sciences, College of
- Arts, College of the
- Ashtabula Campus
Guide for Creating Writing Assignments
Guide for Creating Assignments
1. List the most important learning goals you have for your course.
2. What writing assignment are you considering as part of the course?
3. How will the writing assignment address your learning goals? Be as specific as possible.
4. Which combination of core functions does your assignment draw upon?
5. How do these core functions relate to the writing that professionals in your field do?
6. What sample brainstorming questions can you provide to get students started?
7. What criteria will you use to guide your evaluation of the finished essays?
8. What models of this type of writing exist that you can share with students?
9. What qualities will you look for or encourage students to look for in the early draft stage?
10. What qualities will you look for or encourage students to look for in the middle draft stage?
11. What qualities will you look for or encourage students to look for in the polished draft stage?
12. Do you have “imperfect” models of this assignment that you can share? How will they reveal the pitfalls of the assignment?