Schedule an Online Writing Lab Appointment
Your Online Writing Lab (OWL) Appointment
- Follow the instructions below to submit your paper to the Writing Commons.
- You will be scheduled for the next available 45-minute appointment during our hours of operation.
- An email will be sent to confirm the time of your appointment. You will not need to attend the session in-person.
- A tutor will review your paper during that time, and you will receive his or her feedback via email.
Note: If no appointments are available before the due date of your submission, then your appointment will not be scheduled. For this reason, it is recommended that you send your draft as much as a week before it is due.
Submitting a draft to the Online Writing Lab
To submit a draft to the Writing Commons, please copy and paste the following information into an email and answer each line in as much detail as possible. This information will provide us with the background we need to best assist you to improve your writing. Attach the document you wish to submit to the email and send it to the Writing Commons at email@example.com.
Please set the subject of your email as: [OWL Submission] Lastname, Firstname
Copy and Paste the following form into your email:
- KSU Email: @kent.edu
- Phone Number:
- Class Standing (e.g., Freshman, Junior, Graduate):
- Course Title:
- Course Number (e.g., ENG 21011):
- Due Date:
- What type of paper are you writing? (Please be specific!):
- Report sent to instructor? (yes or no):
- If yes, please supply your professor's email:
- Is English your first language? (yes or no):
- If not, what is your first language?:
- How did you hear about the Writing Commons? (e.g., website, instructor, friend):
- What specific questions/concerns do you have for your tutor?:
- At what stage of the Writing Process are you? (e.g., brainstorming, rough draft, final paper):
- What is your working thesis in this paper?:
- Which section of your paper was the easiest to write?:
- Which section of your paper was the most difficult to write?:
- Where in your paper would you like your tutor to focus? (e.g., introduction, conclusion, and specific page numbers):
- You may now attach your document (.doc, .docx, or .ppt) to this email.
After you have answered these questions in as much detail as possible, you may attach your document to the email and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have not provided enough information for a tutor to be able to assist you, the appointment may not be scheduled until you answer each question fully.
If all of the information we need is in your email submission, our office assistant will schedule your draft for feedback during the next available 45-minute appointment during our hours of operation.
Remember that you are not required to come to the Writing commons for this appointment.
Note: Our Online Writing Lab appointment slots fill up just as quickly as our other appointment slots.