· What is the title? What do I already know about this topic?
· What does this topic have to do with the preceding chapter?
· Does the title express a point of view?
· What do I think I will be reading about?
· What does this heading tell me I will be reading about?
· What is the topic of the paragraph beneath it?
· How can I turn this heading into a question that is likely to be answered in the text?
· Is there an opening paragraph, perhaps italicized?
· Does the first paragraph introduce the chapter?
· What does the introduction tell me I will be reading about?
· Do I know anything about this topic already?
Every first sentence in a paragraph: What do I think this chapter is going to be about based on the first sentence in each paragraph?
Visuals and vocabulary
· Does the chapter include photographs, drawings, maps, charts, or graphs?
· What can I learn from the visuals in a chapter?
· How do captions help me better understand the meaning?
· Is there a list of key vocabulary terms and definitions?
· Are there important words in boldface type throughout the chapter?
· Do I know what the boldfaced words mean?
· Can I tell the meaning of the boldfaced words from the sentences in which they are embedded?
· What do the questions ask?
· What information do they earmark as important?
· What information do I learn from the questions?
· Let me keep in mind the end-of-chapter questions so that I may annotate my text where pertinent information is located.