Undergraduate Summer Research Experience (REU)
Welcome to the web site for the Kent State University NSF-funded Chemistry REU program.
For the past thirteen summers, we have hosted participants from across the country who spent ten weeks in the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry and Liquid Crystal Institute research laboratories. Students in our program work closely with the faculty and other researchers on exciting projects in the areas of liquid crystals, materials (biomaterials & nanomaterials) and biological membranes.
In addition to working in the lab, participants of the REU program are also given the opportunity to take part in a number of social events, ranging from sporting and cultural events to canoe trips.
We invite you to review below the specifics of our program.
June 2nd - August 8th, 2014
The REU program is as follows:
- Liquid Crystals
- Materials Science
- Stipend: $5,000
- Free Room: Centennial Court Dormitories
- A Child-Care facility is available on-campus.
- Subsistence for daycare can be provided upon request.
- Travel Assistance
- Weekly seminars (e.g. liquid crystals, biomembrances, literature search)
- Cleanroom training
- Ethics seminar
- Student research presentations
- Undergraduate Research Conference
- ACS National Meeting Participation (2 students)
- Classical Concert
- Canoe Trip
- Wellness Center
- Sporting Events