The EXCEL (Explore, Careers, Education, Leadership) Living Learning Community is dedicated to providing the foundation for students to remain on their four year graduation path through the creation of an inspiring and engaging living learning community. EXCEL focuses on holistic learning involving the selection of a major, career exploration, academic success, and leadership. The environment within the EXCEL community fosters friendships and relationships with EXCEL students, EXCEL mentors; including, faculty and Staff members. The commitment of the EXCEL Living Learning Community is to provide enriching student experiences at Kent State University.
EXCEL is a living-learning community for new freshmen Exploratory students, designed to assist with exploring careers, education, and leadership while moving students toward selecting their major by the end of freshmen year, so that students remain on their four year graduation track.
How do I participate?
- Open to first year Exploratory students at Kent State University
- On your Housing Application, you must select Lake Hall and EXCEL Community as your top choices
Look for a confirmation email from the EXCEL Coordinator approving your spot in the community
- Get information on how to apply or contact us with your questions
Goals of the EXCEL Living Learning Community are to create an atmosphere fostering immediate friendships and bonding among EXCEL students, peer mentors, faculty members, and staff members; to promote strong academic habits and practices; to increase global education awareness; to create opportunities to increase self-awareness and develop strong critical thinking skills; to expose students to personal responsibility to self and to others; and, to engage students in leadership roles with a commitment to further develop academically successful and involved students, while providing an enriching experience at Kent State University.
- An assigned academic advisor in the Exploratory Advising Center located in Lake Hall.
- Enrollment in a set of core classes and participation in study sessions with other EXCEL students.
- Enrollment in an EXCEL First Year Experience (FYE) and Careers courses to research majors and careers.
- Participation in thought provoking activities within an active and high energy environment in Lake Residence Hall.
- Student programs, services and academic assistance tailored to enhance student success.
- Peer mentors who plan awesome and fun activities while supporting positive student development.