Applying for Aid
The decision on what college or university to attend is one of the most important decisions that a person makes. The way to pay for that education is often the deciding factor on what school to attend. This page is designed to provide you with all the materials that you will need to apply for Federal Financial Aid at Kent State University.
NOTE: The priority processing deadline for the Kent State Student Financial Office is December 1, 2016 for the 2017-2018 academic year. To ensure maximum financial aid eligibility, complete the FAFSA no later than February 1, 2017.
Students applying for financial aid for the 2016-2017 academic year should complete their FAFSA immediately for the Fall 2016 or Spring 2017 semesters. The priority deadline for 2016-2017 was March 1, 2016.
The most important step is to simply apply using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Some schools require applications for additional sources of aid like scholarships, receiving summer aid, etc.
create aN FSA ID
- What's an FSA ID and why do you need one? The FSA ID replaces the Federal Student Aid PIN and will allow you to electronically sign your FAFSA, along with your Master Promissory Note.
View why you need to create and FSA ID (PDF)
- More information on how to create an FSA ID can be found at the FSA ID website.
- To watch a video on creating an FSA ID, please visit our video page.
Complete the FAFSA
- To complete the FAFSA, visit FAFSA on the Web.
- To watch a video on how to complete the FAFSA, please visit our video page.
- Students can find help completing the FAFSA online at the following website:
- Students are always encouraged to contact the Student Financial Aid Office or attend FAFSA Help Ohio for assistance with completion of the FAFSA. For the latest information and events regarding Early FAFSA, visit our news and events page.
- To make sure you meet Kent State University's Priority Processing Date of December 1, complete the FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1 of each year beginning with the 2017-2018 academic year. The 2017-2018 FAFSA is required for financial aid for the Summer 2017, Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 semesters.
- The 2017-2018 FAFSA uses income from an earlier, already completed tax year. Therefore, you do not have to wait to complete your 2016 tax return!
- Review more information on how to provide your financial information on the FAFSA.
- Make sure you use the proper Title IV School Code of 003051 for all students at Kent State University. If you will be attending one of our Regional Campuses, include only the school code that corresponds to the Regional Campus you wish to attend.
FOR ENTERING STUDENTS
Contact the Kent State University Office of Admissions to make sure you have applied and been accepted to attend Kent State University.
- 1-800-988-KENT or 330-672-2444
- Email Admissions at email@example.com
FOR STUDENTS TAKING SUMMER CLASSES
Students who wish to apply some of their aid to the Summer terms at Kent State University will need to submit a Summer Aid Application available to students in January of every year.
Once you have been admitted to Kent State University and Kent receives your application information from the Federal Government, you will receive a Notification of Financial Aid (Award Letter) in mid-December (new incoming freshman) or mid-February (all other students) from the Student Financial Aid Office. Only new students will receive a paper award letter. All others will receive an email notification to view their awards on FlashLine.
Remember to Apply for Scholarships
To apply for scholarships at Kent State University:Visit our scholarship page for general informationSearch for KSU scholarships with the Scholarship Search Qualifier programSearch for external scholarship opportunities