My research focus is on non-suicidal self-injury (NSSI) assessment and NSSI behaviors across cultures. I am in the process of developing two instruments for the assessment of non-suicidal self-injury and is currently a co-investigator for a non-funded research study of non-suicidal self-injury experiences in the Korean young adult population. My professional experiences include clinical adult health nurse practitioner service, family psychiatric nurse practitioner education, and instrument development.
PhD, Criminal Justice, University at Albany, 2003; MA, Criminal Justice, University at Albany, 1999.
PhD, Medical Sociology, Case Western Reserve University, 1991; MA, Sociology, Kent State University, 1984.
PhD, Medical Sociology, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1998; MA, Sociology-UrbanStudies (Dual Degrees), Michigan State University, 1991; BS, Sociology, Michigan State University, 1988.
PhD, Medical Sociology, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1998; MA, Sociology-Urban Studies (Dual Degrees), Michigan State University, 1991; BS, Sociology, Michigan State University, 1988
Dr. Phillips is a cancer and genetic epidemiologist who specializes in breast and cervical cancer research. She has worked on large cancer studies including the Carolina Breast Cancer Study and the Colon Neoplasia Sibling Study evaluating reproductive and genetic risk factors for breast cancer. Since joining the Kent State University College of Public Health in August 2010, Dr.
- Professor of Sociology, Department of Sociology, Kent State University
- Adjunct Professor of Psychiatry, Northeast Ohio Medical University
- Head, Complexity and Health Group, Robert S. Morrison Health and Science Building, Kent State University at Ashtabula
- Advisory Board Member, Center for the Study of Complex Systems, Kalamazoo College
Recent Fellowships and Visiting Professorships:
Physical anthropology, demography, quantitative methods.
- Methods and Methodology, specifically statistics, mixed-methods, computational modeling, case-based modeling, artificial neural networks, network analysis, data visualization, and data science
- Complexity Science/Theory
- Human Complexity
- Medical Sociology
- Social Psychology
- Sociology of Mental Health
- Globalization and health