WHAT IS ACADEMIC S.T.A.R.S.?
Academic S.T.A.R.S.(Students Achieving and Reaching for Success) is a cultural transition and retention program designed for newly enrolled Kent State University freshmen who are African-American, Latino or Native American. The program helps to prepare students to achieve academic success and enrich their college experience.
- Develop academic, personal, professional and social skills
- Establish a community with peers, faculty and staff at Kent State University
- Enrich their cultural identity and self-awareness
WHEN DOES THE SUMMER PROGRAM TAKE PLACE?
- Academic S.T.A.R.S. will be held June 11th - July 21st 2017.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING THE SUMMER PROGRAM?
Take College Courses
- Students will enroll in two college courses and earn six credit hours that count towards graduation:
- College Writing I incorporates the African American, Latino American and Native American experience through writing and interrupting thought by studying writers such as Wright, Douglass, Walker, and Morrison and Angelou.
- Black Experience I provides a study and analysis of the African experience prior to, and following, the arrival of Africans in the New World, with emphasis on North and South America and the Caribbean.
Attend Study Tables
- Students will attend study tables every day with their S.T.A.R.S. brothers and sisters to study and complete class assignments.
Build a Community
- Students will engage in activities to create a sense of community within the group.
- Students will participate in the S.T.A.R.S. workshop twice a week .The S.T.A.R.S. workshop will equip students with tools to help them develop academic, personal, professional and social skills.
Engage in a Cultural Rites of Passage Experience
- Students will participate in a Rites of Passage experience the last week of the program. Rite of Passage promotes self-pride, acceptance of student’s cultural heritage and awareness as well as appreciation of cultural differences.
The Application process is Now closed for the 2017-2018 academic year!
The Application will Open in February 2018 for graduating high school students!