Provost's Leadership Academy
Welcome to Kent State University!
The Provost's Leadership Academy provides incoming Kent State University students with a unique leadership experience on campus. The students will meet once per week during the fall and spring semesters to meet two goals. During the fall semester, the goal is for the students to understand their leadership style, each other, and the community through activities and programs, from which they will generate a list of possible areas of concern within the university community that could be addressed. During the spring semester, the goal is for students to explore and work to improve one of those areas of concern. Upon the conclusion of the semester, the students will present their final project to Todd Diacon, Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs. All participants who successfully complete the program will receive a $300 book scholarship.
About the PLA
The Provost's Leadership Academy is dedicated to the leadership development of academically talented first year Kent State University students by providing a value added educational experience that fosters change within the university community.
To prepare a core group of Kent State students in becoming responsible leaders of their respective communities who are prepared to advocate for its improvement.
- To enhance student's self efficacy and communication skills.
- To enrich the overall university experience of first year students.
- To complete a specific project that improves an area of the university community.
- To develop valuable leadership skills by understanding self, team, and community.
The application period for the Provost's Leadership Academy for the 2014-2015 class has ended as of 4/15/14.
Apply to the PLA
- Have a 3.3—4.0 High School G.P.A.
- 23 ACT composite score or SAT combined critical reading and math score of 1050 or higher
- Be an incoming Freshmen at Kent State University Fall 2014
- Have an interest in learning more about KSU
- Be a leader or want to become one
- Attend weekly meetings during Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 semesters.
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 15, 2014
- Recommendation Letters Due: April 17, 2014
- Notification of Interview: April 18, 2014
- In-Person Interview: May 2, 2014 (12:30pm-5pm)
- Final Decision Notification: May 12, 2014
Completing the Application
- Within your application, you will submit the contact information (email address) of one person who can complete a recommendation form for you. Recommendations should only be submitted by the link sent to the recommender on line. Recommendations can be from a teacher, employer, guidance counselor, coach, and supervisor or leader from a previous leadership experience. Parents and family members should not be used as recommenders for this position.
- Bring a copy of your current resume (be sure to include all of your extra-curricular activities) with you to the Interview Day, May 2, 2014.
For more information, please contact us at PLA@kent.edu or 330-672-9292