Application Procedures for M.A., Au.D., and Ph.D. Programs

We no longer require a GRE score to apply to our graduate programs in Speech-Language Pathology. 

Master's Degree Students

Master's degree applicants must apply through the Communication Sciences and Disorders Centralized Application Service (CSDCAS). Only after program acceptance, applicants choosing to attend Kent State will be asked to apply through Kent State's online application system and pay the university application fee in order to begin the on-boarding process for the program. All applicants may apply for Fall admission with an application deadline of January 15th

PLEASE NOTE: It is important you apply as early as possible through the CSDCAS program, since completing your application can be a lengthy process. As a general rule, you should be requesting your transcripts 10-12 weeks prior to the application due date. You should submit your completed application 6-8 weeks prior to the deadline date to ensure that your application can be verified by CSDCAS prior to the application deadline. Click here to access the link to the application process and deadline requirements on the CSDCAS website

Spring M.A. program admission for Kent State Undergraduates only

Kent State Speech Pathology and Audiology (SPA) majors who are current undergraduates anticipating December or May graduation, post-baccalaureate students, or Kent State SPA students who have graduated in good standing within 12 months of the application deadline, are permitted to apply for Spring admission to our M.A. Program in Speech-Language Pathology. Applications are to be completed through the CSDCAS by October 1st, choosing the Spring start option.  Finalists will be invited to complete an interview as part of the application process.  The university online application is required only if accepted and attending the program. 

Kent State SPA students accepted for Spring admission (Kent State undergraduates only), who wish to combine their final semester of undergraduate study with their first semester of graduate study will need to indicate "yes" in the university application system when asked if they wish to apply to the combined baccalaureate-master's program (CBMP). These applicants must also submit a completed CBMP form.  This will be accomplished in advising prior to the start of the spring semester. 

To be eligible to combine the undergraduate and graduate credits, students must have a minimum of 90 credit by the end of the Fall semester preceding the program start. The date to have all application materials in for the Kent State undergraduate Spring admission program is October 1. Please consult with your Kent State academic advisor to assess whether you are eligible to combine undergraduate and graduate credits. Students graduating in December or 12 months prior to the anticipated program start date are eligible to apply for the Spring M.A. Program admission.

Speech-Language Pathology Program Applicants From Other Disciplines

Applicants who have an undergraduate degree in another discipline and who need to pursue our post-baccalaureate program, must apply to the general admissions office of the university as a post-undergraduate student not seeking a degree. Please contact Dr. Sloane Burgess or visit the non-major section of our website for further information.

Post-baccalaureate applicants

Students who have completed post-baccalaureate coursework in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology may apply for Fall admission to the M.A. Program. The following courses are prerequisites to the M.A. program. Applicants must have completed at least 4 of the following courses (or their university's equivalents) before applying to the M.A. program before applying:

  • Applied Phonetics  
  • Hearing and/or Speech Science
  • Anatomy and Physiology of Speech
  • Speech and Language Development
  • Audiometry/Audiology
  • Speech-Language Disorders Course (Introduction to Communication Sciences and Disorders/Differences, Language Disorders, or Articulatory/Phonological Disorders, etc.)

Courses related to the above content must be completed before entry into the M.A. program. Though it is not required for post-baccalaureate students to be admitted to the graduate program, it is recommended that students complete a course in Aural Rehabilitation (or their university's equivalents) to expedite the process of ASHA clinical certification.

Also relevant to undergraduate prerequisite coursework, ASHA requires that applicants for clinical certification demonstrate knowledge of the biological sciences, physical sciences, statistics, and the social/behavioral sciences. Acceptable courses in biological sciences should emphasize a content area related to human or animal sciences (e.g., biology, human anatomy and physiology, neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, human genetics, veterinary science). Acceptable courses in physical sciences should include physics or chemistry. Acceptable courses in social/behavioral sciences should include psychology, sociology, anthropology, or public health. A stand-alone course in statistics is required.

Au.D. Program Applicants

Find more information on applying to the Northeast Ohio Au.D. Consortium (NOAC) program here.

Ph.D. Applicants

We offer Fall semester admission to our Ph.D. program. Prospective Ph.D. students must apply through the university's online application system. To be considered for graduate assistantships for the coming academic year in the Ph.D. program, applications must be received by January 15. You are also strongly advised to contact a potential Ph.D. advisor on our faculty prior to applying to the program. More information about the Ph.D. in CSD can be found here

Non-clinical master's degrees

We offer non-clinical master's degrees in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology for students who do not wish to provide clinical services and will not be seeking clinical credentialing (i.e., licensure and certification) in the field. Prior to applying, prospective non-clinical master's degree students must contact Dr. Sue Grogan-Johnson for Speech-Language Pathology and Dr. Myrna Forbes for Audiology for specific instructions. 

Non-Degree seeking students

Students who want to take graduate courses without pursuing a degree must apply as a non-degree student. Students who are enrolled in a graduate program at another university but wish to take a class at Kent State can apply for transient student status. Contact Dr. Sue Grogan-Johnson, Graduate Coordinator, for further information.