How did Kent State’s Vision Coverage Benefit Change in 2016?
Effective Jan. 1, 2016, Kent State University has improved its vision benefit coverage. Employees can now receive exams, eyeglasses or contact lenses on a calendar year basis (Jan. 1-Dec. 31).
EyeMed is the employee vision care provider and is automatic when you elect medical coverage with Medical Mutual or Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield. With EyeMed, you have access to more than 37,000 independent practitioners and optical retail providers at more than 17,000 locations nationwide. Retail locations include LensCrafters, Pearle Optical, Sears Optical, Target Optical and JC Penney Optical.
Benefits of the EyeMed vision plan include:
- Employees do not have to pay in advance and file a claim for reimbursement when using an in-network provider.
- The plan offers in-network and out-of-network benefits.
- Each covered member may select eyeglasses or contact lenses for their benefit period. Members may select from the following options:
-- Covered members receive a $240 allowance for frame, lens and lens options. You also will receive a 20 percent discount on the purchase if your in-network balance exceeds $240.
-- Covered members receive a $190 allowance for contact lenses. You also will receive a 20 percent discount on the purchase if your in-network balance exceeds $190.
- Once the in-network benefit has been exhausted, employees can receive a 40 percent discount on a complete pair of eyeglasses or a 15 percent discount on contact lenses.
- Laser vision correction performed by an in-network provider is eligible for a 15 percent discount on the retail price or a 5 percent discount off the promotional price.
- Customer service is available seven days a week.